Has Montana general deer tag become a waste of money?

Troutslayer2

For so many years I have watched our deer hunting decline. I always buy the license but this year I'm thinking no, I will not waste the money. Despite hunting a little harder each year, and theoretically getting better at it, I see fewer and fewer quality deer. Couple that with the ever-diminishing access and more people vying for it, I don't think I can justify it. Anyone else feel this way?

2 seasons ago where we hunt, the deer population was noticeably non existent. Then come that winter some houndsmen ran dogs through the area and took care of 3 big Tom's. Didn't notice much difference the next season but this season there was a big improvement. Not many bucks but a lot of does and fawns.

Last edited:
Too many cats, too many wolves and too many bucks being taken during the rut.

They need to get way more liberal on the cat season, IMO they won't be able to take enough cats to make a dent in them. Same with wolves....

As for quality deer, unless one has a very limited entry permit and or are hunting extremely controlled private land then it's going to be very tough to find a main frame 150 Whitey or a 160 main frame muley.

IMO they need to look at the idea of shutting the buck hunting down on November 15th. That would give people a few days of the rut but not 2-3 weeks of it. They could allow for a few rut permits in a lot of the units. This would help with the age of bucks available.

As well, it would be nice to see people stop shooting young and immature bucks. Take a doe and or buy more beef and chicken. If we could slow down the attitude of I bought a tag so I have to shoot something things would come a long ways in 3 or 4 years.

Montana could have some really good buck hunting but it would take work, sacrifice and commitment by hunters, fwp and landowners.

I use to hold for a 180 type Muley.Grew up in the farmlands, see 50 deer on private driving to town.All season in NWMT,barely saw a branched buck.Everyone on this side is now hunting east side just to see deer, far as mules go.

All the good hunting in Montana is on ranches. That's just the way it is. We've had way too many people move here. The fishing and hunting have really gone downhill. I didn't even hunt last year. It's just too discouraging.

I use to hold for a 180 type Muley.Grew up in the farmlands, see 50 deer on private driving to town.All season in NWMT,barely saw a branched buck.Everyone on this side is now hunting east side just to see deer, far as mules go.
Eastern Montana has always been the overflow area for residents. The problem is the amount of residents is growing rapidly and we are still killing deer like it's 1970

Out of stater here….just started hunting 7 years so I have limited experience. Just started going to Montana two years ago and I guess I have a different opinion. Hunting Washington you're lucky to see bucks unless you have a honey spot(which I don't).I haven't shot a deer in Washington yet. I have also hunted minimum of at least 4 days in our 10 day hunt time for muleys every year so far of the last 7. In Montana I was able to harvest deer both years I have went. First year was a doe and last year my first buck. Not a big 4x4, but none the less meat in my freezer. I will go again this year for doe at the very least to get meat. While I am undoubtedly looking for the biggest deer a can shoot in terms of both horns and size ultimately I am going for meat.

Come hunt the big woods. See a shooter buck (like my avatar) once every ten years.
I've been to Maine (even worse than NY). Hunted MT. WT seemed like a plague on the land compared to here. Of course that was 8 years ago. It is all relative to what you use to measure with.

When I was working in B.C. years ago . The muley had to have 4 points on a side after after Nov 12 till the end of season to protect the young deer during the rut. It does help