Has Montana general deer tag become a waste of money?

With a increase of hunters this big plus the uptick of four legged predators it's definitely going to hurt the deer population.
The state agency will have a hard time fudging their numbers in a few more years without change in tag allotment.
The way things have declined the last 10 years I'm scared to see in a few more years if we continue the way we are going

Not sure what's happens to our local deer herds here in Montana but think it's a combination of too many cats and giving out way to many tags. Talked to a local biologist this past season and he verified that the mule deer numbers are lower than he's seen in over 25 years. Asked him if he thought it was due to sickness and he said some but he believes that's it more due to over harvesting and that the state is inflating it's numbers to get more out of staters to buy more B tags. Seems to be more about money for the Montana FWP then it is conservation and they have severely damaged the deer quality in the state.
Thanks for stating that Doug2080.
Reality hurts but it is the truth!

I'm finally going into bow hunting. It's the best chance I have to get something before the masses figure that out too. There's already a ton of bow hunters, but nothing like during gun season.

They won't limit tags even if it is the proper thing to do it cuts into profit. Michigan is a prime example of that . They offer a combo buck tag that allows you to shoot any buck with horns over 3 inches. The second tag has to have 4 points on one side for the second tag. they also allow you to buy 1 for tag a DAY for a lot of the units for like 60 days. When they first started this it was a management tool the tag was $1on they are $20 A tag that is profit over management in my opinion
West Virginia does the same thing kinda. Instead of managing the deer herd for better opportunities and possibly a chance for a decent trophy, the DNR here manages the herd for the most profits for their agency. The deer herd here is only a money making business for them. There are groups in this state that have been pushing for better trophy management for years but the DNR will not even consider it. The coyotes and black bear are extremely hard on the deer in some areas with very low populations. Our neighboring states of Ohio and Pennsylvania have much better trophy hunting with a one buck limit each year. Some counties in WV have a five buck limit providing you buy the extra tags :oops: :mad:.