Has anyone used a Shilen #5 contour for a 338 edge?

I've seen some posts with guys using a #3 contour with 338 to save weight

I've seen some posts with guys using a #3 contour with 338 to save weight
I wasn't sure that would be be big enough. Trying to get as light as possible without sacrificing accuracy. Haha. Like everybody else. I try to search, but don't find much.

jjmp, looking at doing the same, or moving to 33 Nosler. What did your rifle weight come in at with the #5?

just weighted her about 7.5 lbs, 26 inch/bbl, no scope but bases on & front rem site,mk 10 mauser action older bell & Carlson synt/ stock glass beded .

Length plays a big part into how a barrel contour works. They longer the less taper you want. The bigger the caliber the more you need.

But if your 26" you should be fine.

I found barrel manufactures very helpful in discussing minimums for materials and calibers. Krieger told me that a #5 was as small as they go in SST in that caliber. It seems they have updated their website to show their minimums for each. If I was to make a lighter 338, I might drop to a 4 or 4b.

Thanks guys. It's ordered now. 28" shilen #5. Rem 700 action and bm. Wyatt box. Eh-1 stock. Hope she shoots!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.