Has anyone used a Magnospeed Riflekuhl?

Doing nothing except giving the rifle time to cool is a very good way to solve this problem. If you stand the rifle up and open the bolt, natural convection will do the job. It just takes time.

Using a chamber chiller will expedite the time without shocking the barrel with some type of coolant other than air. I have seen shooters use water or other liquids to cool their barrels and don't recommend this practice because it is not uniform and I don't want to add stresses if it is possible to cool it a safe and uniform way.

In my opinion air is the slowest and least risky way to cool, and the safest way not to harm the barrel or finish. Using any air cooler with a rechargeable power supply is what I would recommend.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Is anyone actually measuring the chamber temp or internal barrel temps immediately after firing, and again after using their method of allowing cooling for the prescribed time? Is 10 minutes of passive cooling with the bolt open really a lot more effective than 5 minutes? How much difference do the barrel coolers make? I would be interested in FACTS.

I also like to work with ambient temperatures when working with one of my hunting rifles. To speed up load development I use a CO2 system.

In the beginning, 15 years ago, I used a temperature probe from my multimeter and once I figured out what was happening stopped using it. Once a bit of cooling effect is felt on outside of barrel the CO2 is turned off and the cooling continues. It is quite easy to do this and maintain ambient temps.

A tapered rubber hose allows it to fit most chambers near the shoulder area. The hose must be held when releasing the CO2. The air is released slowly and cooling is accomplished in less than a minute. Several members of the club have adopted this system including a well known gunsmith. None of us have observed any adverse effects.

Is anyone actually measuring the chamber temp or internal barrel temps immediately after firing, and again after using their method of allowing cooling for the prescribed time? Is 10 minutes of passive cooling with the bolt open really a lot more effective than 5 minutes? How much difference do the barrel coolers make? I would be interested in FACTS.

Not very scientific, But before all the gadgets we have today, we used the back of our fingers to check the barrel temperature. normally after 4 ot 5 shots the barrel felt warm but you could keep your fingers on the barrel. On light contour and big magnums the limit seemed to be about 3 shots before it became hot to the touch. Each rifle,cartridge combination is different so the cooling time was different. The main thing that we tried to do was not just bang away and overheat the barrel during test firing.

A good slow firing pace and time is all that is needed. in those days opening the bolt and standing the rifle up gave good results if you switched back and forth between rifles, The chiller/cooler decreases this time and allows less time if you only have one rifle to test.
Getting in a hurry never produces the best results. and any method is better than just banging away and overheating a barrel.

In some rapid fire matches cooling is not an option, but extreme cartridges with huge amounts of powder that will heat the barrel with only 2 or 3 shots are not used so the barrel has time to reasonably cool between shots if you give it.

Everyone will have their method and pace while shooting and the degree of cooling needed to replicate its use. With heat, Less is more/better.

J E CUSTOM

I already owned the Magnetospeed Riflekuhl and I decided to buy the Chamber Chiller to compare the two. I used a Dwyer Series 471 anemometer to measure air flow from each unit after adding new batteries to both and a new filter in the Riflekuhl. Both of them were right at 2600 FPM air velocity at 1/8" off the tip of the Dwyer. I was surprised since I thought the Chamber Chiller would have more air flow. Just FYI in case you are trying to decide which to buy.

Living here in South Western Florida, I am using a product called the chamber chiller.
I like and approve of this product and its ability to cool down rifle barrels fairly quickly due to the fact of having a high capacity cooling fan with a very small footprint.
if you are interested please use the web to find them and compare your options.
I'm certain that you will need to go over the specs twice in order to make a rational decision.
I have no affiliation to Chamber Chillers, I just use and support them!
Hope This will help you !
Chamber chiller is great. Manufactured in hot hot Texas (Austin). It's better than the Mangnetto

I have the magnetospeed but the noise is incredibly annoying. I've been asked if I could not use it at the range due to it's pitch. Someone else at the range had a BarrelCool and it's tone was much more tolerable.

I have the magnetospeed but the noise is incredibly annoying. I've been asked if I could not use it at the range due to it's pitch. Someone else at the range had a BarrelCool and it's tone was much more tolerable.
I agree about the annoying noise. I complained to the company and they sent me a new one - same high pitched whine

I had intended to buy a chamber chiller, but a few weeks ago when I went to buy them the ship date was pushed out 2 weeks. The magneto was in stock so I paid the extra $10 and got it.

I have used it once at the range so far and I do believe it helps cool barrels faster especially here in AZ when the ambient is above 100. I really like it so far other than as mentioned before the noise. It is a little annoying but who really cares. The benefits are worth more than the annoying noise.

Here in Florida I try to avoid the range from June to October, but make a few trips out in the heat anyway. Air chillers are really the only way to go here.
Compressed air would cool it so fast that the 75-95% humidity will result in condensation inside the barrel = no bueno.
same with water.
With the air chiller i get it to ambient temperature in 10 minutes or more. 90 degrees that feel like 110. 2 rounds and i am too hot to touch. Waste of time.
Just purchased a Tikka Tx1 for that purpose and will mess with that at extended ranges until i really HAVE TO shoot my bigger guns.
Bringing several guns is a must, but at my range more than 3 gets cramped.
Shoot when it's cool, buy guns when it's hot.

SnT

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.