Has anyone thought of making a .338 Norma Improved?

JARHEAD1371

I've been kicking around ideas of what cartridge to use for a new build to shoot the new 300 gr Berger. I like the .338 Norma but not a fan of the 20 deg shoulder. Has anyone thought about putting a 30-35 deg shoulder on it? What kind of improvement can I expect in terms of velocity or case capacity? Basically I want to push the 300 gr Berger around 2950-3000 fps. I know about the Edge, Lapua, Lapua Imp, RUM, and several others. If there are any other suggestions feel free to share.

It is being done as you read this.

I myself am having a wildcat of the 338 Norma built in a .284 with a 30 degree shoulder.
The cartridge has minamal taper to the case already so the only option to "improve" the case is to change the shoulder.
I don't know how much you gain in case capacity by doing this.

If you want to push the 300 grain 3000+ fps you need to do a 338-378 Weatherby. Lapua imp can also get your 2950-3000 fps. I have never worked with the norma but it is basically a shortenned blown out lapua so I don't think 2950 fps would be possible in any form of the norma case.

If you want to push the 300 grain 3000+ fps you need to do a 338-378 Weatherby. Lapua imp can also get your 2950-3000 fps. I have never worked with the norma but it is basically a shortenned blown out lapua so I don't think 2950 fps would be possible in any form of the norma case.

From what I've read the 338 Norma is more efficient than the 338 Lapua. It will obtain the same speeds while utilizing less powder. I'm thinking that the improved version will be like the Lapua Improved but have an easier time fitting into a magazine.

From what I've read the 338 Norma is more efficient than the 338 Lapua. It will obtain the same speeds while utilizing less powder. I'm thinking that the improved version will be like the Lapua Improved but have an easier time fitting into a magazine.

So what your saying is that you can take the 338 Lapua and shorten it and improve performance?

James

So what your saying is that you can take the 338 Lapua and shorten it and improve performance?

James

The Norma is more efficient because it's shorter and fatter than the Lapua. Think of it like a 7mm SAUM compared to a 7mm Rem Mag. My 7SAUM will match my 7RM but use less powder and easily fit into a short action.

Actually it is basically the 338 Lapua shortened and the taper taken out so you gain very little by improving the Norma compared to the Lapua. The specs I have actually show the 338 Lapua to be .002 larger in diameter at the web than the 338 Norma. Norma also increased the rated pressure for the 338 Norma but I would be very surprised if the Norma brass will handle any more pressure than the Lapua Brass.

James

Actually it is basically the 338 Lapua shortened and the taper taken out so you gain very little by improving the Norma compared to the Lapua. The specs I have actually show the 338 Lapua to be .002 larger in diameter at the web than the 338 Norma. Norma also increased the rated pressure for the 338 Norma but I would be very surprised if the Norma brass will handle any more pressure than the Lapua Brass.

James

You are right, both are based on the 416 Rigby case. I have been looking at so many different cartridges I was thinking of the 338 Extreme, which is based on the 505 Gibbs.

James,
The 338 Norma brass is every bit as good as the Lapua. Have 15 reloads on my 300 JAZZ (30-338 Norma AI ) brass and have annealled after every round.
Primer pockets are still tight.

James,
The 338 Norma brass is every bit as good as the Lapua. Have 15 reloads on my 300 JAZZ (30-338 Norma AI ) brass and have annealled after every round.
Primer pockets are still tight.

What kind of performance are you getting out of the 300JAZZ?

210gr Berger's @ 3150 fps w/28" barrel
SSG built the rifle. The COAL is 3.50 with the 210gr Bergers @ the neck/shoulder and fits in a standard magbox. With 15 reloads on the brass, I am sure it could be pushed harder, but when it will shoot 2 1/2 " groups at 750 yards, I think I will stick with where it is at.

210gr Berger's @ 3150 fps w/28" barrel
SSG built the rifle. The COAL is 3.50 with the 210gr Bergers @ the neck/shoulder and fits in a standard magbox. With 15 reloads on the brass, I am sure it could be pushed harder, but when it will shoot 2 1/2 " groups at 750 yards, I think I will stick with where it is at.

I wouldn't be looking to change your load either. I'm looking at another build in some variation of the 338 Norma. Now I have to choose between the 284, 300, and 338. It's a good thing that I have about a year to decide. :D Any more info or pics you care to share feel free!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts