has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

goodgrouper

I don't know how many guys have heard about these relatively new scopes called U.S. Optics, but I sure would LOVE to find out more about them from actual owners. They claim to have double the resolution of Nightforce and Leupold long range scopes. And they are made to order in custom configurations. You can get a 30,40,or 50 mm tube with a 50,80, or 100 mm objective! You can also supposedly get external or internal adjustments. I am interested in any info I can get because I'm currently building a rifle for 2000 yards+ and I would like to put the best possible scope on it. I have always liked the Leupold LR's but if these U.S. scopes really have double the resolution past 1500 yards they would almost be worth the $4200 sticker price-maybe!

Look up either here or www.snipershide.com or www.westcoasttactical.com that goes by the handle 'DMCI'. The guy is very well informed about the U.S. Optics scopes and speaks highly of them. Bit out of my price range and entirely overkill for what I need (i.e. I don't think I need Hubble-grade glass when I know the limiting factor is me) but peoples tastes and opinions differ.

Enjoy,

Monte

Big problem going past 2000 yards is not just the glass. You have to have a way to get the MOA you need.

That usually means 3 options.

1. Unertl external adjustment scopes. Super glas and easily changed reticles. Fixed power and not weatherproof.

2. Regular scope such as NF or Leupold with custom rings with external adjustments such as Iveys ($750)

3. USOPTICs with the 200 or 300 MOA adjustment. The SN9 is an example of that. Loaded out 8-40x with all the goodies can easily run $4000 plus but glas is as good as Unertl

I have a Unertl BV-20 that is as good as I need on a 338 Lapua Ack Improved. Has all the adjustment I need and cost $450 on Ebay.

BH

I use Leupold ( by premier ) that OK but need special canted base adjustable ( 120 moa = 2° ) to get enought moa to reach target over 1 miles

IOR are good for the job but 16 is a bit not enought a fixed in 20/24 x will be a very nice tool

I have a friend who use a USO ( 17 x fixed 35 mm main tube ) that OK but sveral important point to check with GIANT SCOPE

big front lense make high scope mount and cant is very important

big front lense make high scope mount and try to shoot with confortable head position that very important to make repeatable string

exit pupil acceptable is near 2 mm so front bell diameter / power give you exit pupil

so 2 x 24 = 48 mm of front lense so no need to get hudge front lense that make scope
costly / heavy and unconfortable

new big 35 mm IOR wil be anice answer for ultr along range shooting with engrave reticule NP8 that allow to use small barr as auxillary sight ( same as mil dot ) but far more accuarte that big black dot , because with range increase dont forget to use a thin reticule to don't hide your target

Agrre with bounty hunter SN9 in variable option can be a good solution if your bank count is full and if USO quality and service follow the scope price .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Man that is some long eye relief
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

cant answer your Q so figured id at least give it a bump
grin.gif

JB

With optics, the proof is in what your eyes can see. If you are looking to spend that type of coin, I would strongly suggest you look before you buy.

Personally, Nikon and B&L/Bushnell 4200 give me as much resolution as my eyes can see. I have compared these to other brands and they were at worse, equal. My eyes found these brands to work the best, yet, other shooters favored other glass.

At that range, elevation adjustment becomes a big issue. I would look at shimming for a 1000yd zero. This will allow many scopes to work out to 2000yds. If you want to go from 100yds to 2000yds, the list of possible options is very small.

The Tasco SS does have a lot of internal adjustment and equal/better optics then the Luppies I have looked through. Certainly not superb but good enough for most applications.

The Nikon tacticals might just be what you are looking for. Also, consider an externally adjustable Balvar. A few have been offered on this board and on ebay. Very good glass but not weatherproof.

Jerry

last time i looked at any scope at 2000 meters it was darn small, i had to have a hellof a spotting scope to see it !!
sorry couldn't resist.
don't pass over the S&B PMII 4-16x50 or the Hensold 6-24x50 or even x72.
Pete

I agree than TASCO SS are very good for th eprice and allow even you to purchase one more as spare , only little problem on 20x the reticule is very thick , 16x is better balanced reticule thickness

good shotting

DAN TEC

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Look up either here or www.snipershide.com or www.westcoasttactical.com that goes by the handle 'DMCI'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who MOI?

Milanuk is correct in everything he says.

But, having said that, there are a lot of USO options besides HUBBLES.
grin.gif

Cncrd1151a.jpg

The ultimate in ultra-longrange optics is this SN-9 10-42x58 shown here on a 4N built rifle:

sn9-10-42x-AIAW.jpg

[ 09-18-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

So guys, how do you like these USO scopes, and have you ever shot them side by side with Leupolds or Nightforce? I am looking for PERSONAL experience only--not guestimations!
By the way, thanks for the websites. I checked them all out. TOO COOL!

Goodgrouper,
Cut and paste this link on your browser to read about my experiences with USO. In short, I have had the luxury to test or get my hands on just about every high-end scope maker on the market - loopy, Zeiss, S&B, Unertl, etc. The only glass on my rifles (from .223 to .50BMG with the other most common "sniper" rounds in between) is USO. Period.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/USO_3YearsLater.asp

SCL in Bogota

[ 09-23-2004: Message edited by: SCL ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.