Has anyone compared the Leupold LTO to the Flir scout tk?

Smokepoles

I'm looking to pick up a handheld thermal to screw around with and am curious to hear real world experience with the two. I haven't held either but deal with flir equipment a lot at work and would have full faith in theyre product but leupold advertises the range of the LTO quite a bit further, if it works well the range would put it in the winners circle for me. Anyone touch both of these? Thanks

Have the leupold LTO and played around with the FLIR scout (forget which model but I think it was the base model) in store once.... as far as resolution goes I'd say the FLIR was better... flir is more ergonomic, the LTO kinda seems like leupold was in the middle of developing an affordable weapons optic and gave up after they found out it won't stand up to recoil or something and turned it into a handheld viewer... heck it even has a 30mm OD on the main tube... the eye relief on it is like 6-7" compared to the FLIR which you use like a monocle right up to your eye which I found more comfortable... but for the price the LTO does what I want it to compared to the FLIR.... can't say much comparing effective range between them as I only played with the FLIR in store... playing around with the LTO at night I'd say 200 yards is about as far as I can identify cow sized animals and definetly say they are cows... dogs/coyotes maybe 100yards.... definetly not as good as some of the more expensive thermal weapon sights...

Orch

Last edited:
Does anyone have any updated field experience using Leupold thermal to detect elk? We have to cross a large drainage that is open for 400-600 yards before getting to the timber on the way to our hunting area. Last year in the dark we walked right into a large herd in the drainage. We got down in a ditch and stayed still until light, but a wind came up at our backs just before dawn and the herd blew out. The drainage is at about 8000 feet. We'd like to be scanning as we cross so it doesn't need to reach 600 yards, but 200 yards to detect an elk size animal would be too close.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.