Has anyone built a 25x47 Lapua Improved

CHARLIEDUECE65

I'm thinking of a future build. This will be based on a Remington 700
short action. I would like to keep the barrel 24" or under. The goal is a light weight gun I can use for some varmit but mainly deer here in MN. I've looked at the bullet option in .257 and there's several that would work well. I have enough 6mm guns. I wouldn't need to improve this cartridge if there is no need for it. Any ideas on speed with bullets up to 120 grains. I all ready have new 6.5x47 brass and like the size of this casing. So I would like to base it off this round. Also I want the round to fit the ADL HS stock I currently have, so the length of the round is critical as I intend for this to be a repeater. Twist rate, barrel length, and any other info would be appreciated. Thanks for any info.

I really love the idea of a 25 cal..

But every time I decide it is time to build one I run into the same issue.. Poor bullet selection.. There are no really heavy weight bullets available that I have found a steady supply of.. 120 seems to be about max weight.. If I jump 7 thou in bore diameter (.264) I can run up 142gr and maybe heavier if the Wildcat bullets work out..

Just my 2 cents and worth both pennies..

Just my opinion.. but my 25-300 win mag ended up a 6.5-300 win mag.. and my 25-308 ended up a 260 AI...

6.5 has a much broader bullet selection...

again just my 2 cents

I have been thinking about a 25x47 Lapua (not improved). I would shoot 85 to 100 grain bullets out of a 23 inch # 2 contour barell. I'm not sure if I would go 1-12 or 1-14 twist, don't need the 1-10 for 100 grain or less bullets. I'm thinking I may try the Sako 85 short action (long enough for the 25x47). The one thing I'm not sure of with that combanation is the triger. I did contact JGS Tools, and they drew up a reamer for the 25x47.

The 25 cal. bullets don't hold up to the BC'S of the 6.5's or the 6 mm, but it should be a great varmit or deer rifle. Seems like there may some movement in
the US away from the BIG stuff, 7 mm, 300 win mag. and going toward the shorter actions

If you put one together I like to hear about the results.

Good luck,

g

I think it would be a very accurate mid-range mid-game hunting cartridge.
You might base it on BIB 88gr FB (12twist, shorter barrel, max accuracy).
Don't think you can really improve it and expect good feeding in repeater. It's fine the way it is.

You make a good point about the 250 Sav, but Lapua vs Rem. brass could make the differance. Then again there are thoes that arn't sold on the small
flash hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.