harvesters pt gold with black crush sabots

ericmeverson

I'll be picking up a cva accura v2 long range with a 30 inch barrel here in a month or two. My question is do these bullets shoot better with black horn powder powder or triple 7 loose. Do they shoot good with triple 7 pellets. Just wondering I will be shooting the 300 grain ones.

I've been reading all the reviews on them and maybe 2 out of the reviews were negetive. From all I've read on them I thought they might be expensive but you can get them online for 11 bucks for 12. And if you look at I can get 24 bullets for the price of 1 pack of power belts. And from what I've heard these bullets blow power belts out of the water. I can't wait to give them a shot.

My T/C Triumph shoots the Harvester Gold bullets much better with Blackhorn 209. Tighter groups and very consistent shot to shot. A fringe benefit is that the BH 209 is so much cleaner burning than 777 you will be amazed. You can use standard bore solvents to clean and you can shoot many shots without cleaning. As for the Harvester Gold bullets they are bone crushers and leave huge exit holes out to 200 yards. I like the 300 grain Scorpion Gold.

I wanna shoot the 300 grain ones for bone crushing power for drop them in your tracks energy and no tracking. Were I hunt you can not see very good it's so thick and a lot of water and it's a huge swamp and I need a bullet that lays a lot of blood down quick. The deer are huge here to because on my brothers there corn soy beans alfalfa and clover basically everything to grow a monster deer and even the does r huge.

Look into the special breech plug for shooting the Blackhorn. I shoot the 300 gr. PT Golds out of my V2 with MMP HPH 12 sabots. The nice thing about loose powder is that you can vary the amount you use to tweak the load. I do recommend the Blackhorn powder.

At the start of the season I switched to the 300 gr PT Gold and their Black crush rib sabot for all 3 of my Knight's with Bare Primer breech plugs. Mid season I switched primers from Federal's 209 A to Winchesters regular 209 shotgun primer. That solved by blow back and sticking primer problems. The 300 PT Gold has always been the most accurate bullet in my Knights: I just wasn't sure how well they would perform on game. I should have changed 3 bullets back. In a word they were Awesome. I killed an large Aoudad (275 lbs.) with 30 inch horns, several whitetails, 2 fallows and 1 Axis doe. All were one shot kills and only 2 animals ran more than 10 yds. from point of impact. Only recovered one bullet(from Aoudad) and it weighted 240 gr. Like others on this forum I use BH 209. No smoke, easy to clean up, doesn't absorb moisture and much easier to work up loads than pellets and no need to swab barrel after each shot,

I shoot pt gold 260 grn with the black crush sabots out of my accure mr and my tc omega. the accura shoots one inch groups with 100 grns of blackhorn and the omega shoots one and a quarter inch with 100 grns of blackhorn. I went up to 105 grns of powder and no change. next is 110 grns.

Based on what I have experienced with all 3 of my Knights, a new Redemption and what I have read on Randy Wakeman and Toby Bridges' web stes and numerous postings on this and other blogs 105 to 110 grs. seems to be the "sweet spot" for BH 209 and a number of different bullets. After 3 years of trying various component combinations, I've locked in on 110 gr of BH 209, Harvester's 300 gr Scorpion PT Gold bullet and Black Crush Rib Sabot and Winchester's regular 209 primer. My best 100 yd 3 group to date, out of my Knight LRH (glass bedded and target trigger set at 2 1/4 lbs) was .297 inches. I harvested 8 animals this year and all were one shot kills and 6 of the 8 dropped on the spot. The other 2 made less than 15 yds. All were through and through, except for a 260 lb. Aoudad where the bullet was lodged under the skin on off side. Recovered bullet weighed 245 gr.

Based on what I have experienced with all 3 of my Knights, a new Redemption and what I have read on Randy Wakeman and Toby Bridges' web stes and numerous postings on this and other blogs 105 to 110 grs. seems to be the "sweet spot" for BH 209 and a number of different bullets. After 3 years of trying various component combinations, I've locked in on 110 gr of BH 209, Harvester's 300 gr Scorpion PT Gold bullet and Black Crush Rib Sabot and Winchester's regular 209 primer. My best 100 yd 3 group to date, out of my Knight LRH (glass bedded and target trigger set at 2 1/4 lbs) was .297 inches. I harvested 8 animals this year and all were one shot kills and 6 of the 8 dropped on the spot. The other 2 made less than 15 yds. All were through and through, except for a 260 lb. Aoudad where the bullet was lodged under the skin on off side. Recovered bullet weighed 245 gr.

How did you measure a .297" group? Just ask'n.........

You'll have to ask the local gunsmith who shot it and noted it on the target for me. Send me your e-mail address by PM and I'll be happy to send you a cc of the target with his original notations.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.