Harris Bipod - 6"-9" vs 9"-13"

I have both sizes. The 6-9 in is ideal for bench shooting, the 9-13 better for field work in my experience. But it is to a certain extent dependent on the individual.

I have the 13-25 I think, make sure you get the pivot model. The 6-9 puts me right in the grass most of the time. BUT - the taller model is much harder to make solid because most of 'me' is sitting up, not prone. Two wooden dowels with two O-rings twisted around them so than an 'X' is formed works great! The rings easily slide down when needed for lower, and the pair is held together by the rings so makes a decent walking stick. A light weight rifle works great in the sticks, heavier needs more support so the bipod - or carry a tripod. Even then, you need to support the back of the rifle....

Hello good people, I do have a few Harris, I do love the 6-9, now on the bench I know that some places to shoot may be higher tables or lower . I did make a 2×4 about a foot long soft pine rounded corners sanded so to raise if needed but at my age things I been thru neck and other parts aches. Good luck

I have used the taller Harris for many years in the field but using it from prone has always been a problem. I think I have an idea that may work. If you take a PVC snap tee and slide it between the back of the leg stops and the legs themselves then bring the legs down to hold the T in place. Seems to have a lot of support and may work better for an improvised prone shot when needed while using the taller bipod. Hope to test it tomorrow.

depends on the gun. i have a 6-9 on my bolt gun and a 9-13 on my LR308. i like to be as close to ground as possible when i use them. i have to have the 9-13 on the LR308 because the 20 round mags stick down so far. with the bolt gun, i can usually leave it in the 6" position and have plenty of room for a rear bag.

K9 TXS sorry i can't don't know really how to do it. It's really simple though just slide the T slit in the back of the pod base so when the legs are returned to parallel to the barrel they stop about half way down

K9 TXS sorry i can't don't know really how to do it. It's really simple though just slide the T slit in the back of the pod base so when the legs are returned to parallel to the barrel they stop about half way down
Just tested it yesterday and it works great!!!

I've never used a bipod very much, but may start. Those of you using the Harris Bipod, which height do you prefer?

I would use it on the bench for load development and the rest of the time it would be used in prone position.

Using bipods in the past, it has always given me neck discomfort and I've found no way around that. Thinking maybe a higher bipod may help with the neck discomfort.
It depends on how big your belly is and if you can comfortably place your cheek on the stock and get a decent view of the reticle. I suggest you borrow one of each, place them on your rifle and get down behind them. Your body will tell you which to buy. I own both, but I prefer the 9"-13". I'm an old guy with back and neck problems.

I decided to go with the 6-9.

A year after having knee replacement, I still cannot get on my knees. I found that getting in the prone position is no longer worth trying. After I get down there, then I have to get up.

I have both Atlas and Harris bipods. I prefer the Atlas.

I use these only on my specialty pistols. They are used in load development and when I'm in the field they allow the pistol to be to be in an upright position and not laying flat on the ground.

I shoot off a tripod on a rest I made that is similar to the BOG PSR that is no longer in production. I just leave the pod feet down and it easy to pick it up and set it on the ground.