Harris Bipod - 6"-9" vs 9"-13"

K9TXS

I've never used a bipod very much, but may start. Those of you using the Harris Bipod, which height do you prefer?

I would use it on the bench for load development and the rest of the time it would be used in prone position.

Using bipods in the past, it has always given me neck discomfort and I've found no way around that. Thinking maybe a higher bipod may help with the neck discomfort.

For bench and some prone in flat positions, I find the 6-9" ideal. I don't want much taller than 6" for bench. And typically raise it closer to 8-9" for prone.

The 9-12 would be better suited for prone that also sees unconventional positions (uneven rocks, etc).

just my experience.

Last edited:
I am far from an expert. That being said for prone shooting it seems to have a lot to do with flexibility. I am not a very flexible person and trying to use a low bipod caused neck pain. Once I got myself up off the ground a little bit it all went away and I was a lot more comfortable, a lot more relaxed, and shot a lot better. I would recommend Creating your own shooting sticks to see what height you need. The easiest thing to do would be to use some kind of Blocks to get it up to the height that you like and then measure to see how high you are. Then you'll have your answer.

I haven't used Harris, but would STRONGLY suggest a pivot model. After the first one I used, I gave my old ones away and bought pivots. Unreal difference in the field on uneven terrain.

It's all personal preference, but I only ever buy the 9-13 version. 6-9 is too short much of the time to get over high grass, shoot up slope, etc.

I second the other suggestions: notched legs (quicker deployment) and pivot model. There are aftermarket levers to enable quick locking of the pivot position.

also saw a typo in my first response—meant "flat", not "fat" prone!

Like others said, notched legs, pivot model and a podloc is a must. I use both. I keep the 9-13 on the rifle and a 6-9 in my pack. When possible, the lower to the ground the better, so I prefer the 6 to 9 when I can use it. When it won't work, the 9-13 usually will. I'd recommend getting both.

I prefer the 9-13, notched legs, swivel base, with a pod lock. I think the model is LM-S. It helps getting over grass and I'm on the taller side so the 9" low end isn't bad off a table. I have one of the tallest versions, and I can use it sitting when fully extended.

I prefer 6-9" for the bench. I have a 13-25" i use in the field which gets me enough height to shoot seated (high enough over the prairie grass / sage) but can still go prone via propping myself up a bit with my chest on my backpack.

6-9 Harris with notched legs and swivel with the pod-loc attachment works great on the bench, same setup for in the field but the 9"-13" model. The non-notched legs will slip at just the wrong moment.

I even have their highest model for shooting where the ground slopes away for cross canyon shots. Let your terrain be your guide.