Harrell’s press and equipment

IndianaMatt

Anyone familiar with this brand? I'm pretty new to reloading and have a chance to buy a press and powder measure. I'm somewhat concerned because the guy is selling fairly new stuff.

The powder thrower is usually used in short range bench rest and the press may be for smaller cases. I have a Harrells Combo Press and own a powder thrower that i use for me 6ppc's. I know they make some others as well.......Just be sure what you are looking at, it may just be for the short range stuff. I IS high quality equip.

I should have been more specific. It's a Harrell's Sportsman press and a Custom 90 Culver powder measure. He has extra bottles for the measure and no accessories for the press.
I assume the press will take standardized shell holders and dies?
I would use this primarily for a .284 Win and a .30 WSM.

have used a Harrels BR powder measure for years, good stuff. Dunno bout the press - but everything they make is very good quality.

I like my Harrell's press and powder drop, they are very accurate if you're throwing ball powder....IMO they are not worth the money for stick powder when you're going to have to trickle anyway. For stuff like 4831sc and 4350 I use my chargemaster, and have started using it more and more anyway. I don't have the sportsman's press, I have the arbor press. I use it exclusively with Wilson seating dies, I just feel like I can feel differences in neck tension/graphite lube better with that than any of the 7/8-14 dies/press combos.

I'd buy them both though if I had the cash and the price was right.

Good Luck!

Well I hate to sound ludicrous but the price is a trade of an older 2 stroke push mower, and an older riding lawn mower... he is a Lawn Boy collector and I happen to have some Lawn Boy stuff I don't use. I figure the value of my stuff at-around $500.

Does this sound like a good deal? I have no use for the Lawn Boy stuff I picked it up at an auction about 5 years ago and haven't touched it in 4.5 years lol.

I don't have the sportsman's press, I have the arbor press.

I have seen pictures of these but don't really understand how they work? They look so much different than a standard press.

I think I would do the trade with the given situation. I've never used one of the press's either, but I've seen guys at benchrest competitions using the compact version clamped onto a bench. They appear to work much like a standard press just cammed a little differently.

Harrell's presses are top notch. The Sportsman is supposed to be big enough.
I agree with earlier about throwing charges though. A ChargeMaster is a better way to go.

Well I hate to sound ludicrous but the price is a trade of an older 2 stroke push mower, and an older riding lawn mower... he is a Lawn Boy collector and I happen to have some Lawn Boy stuff I don't use. I figure the value of my stuff at-around $500.

Does this sound like a good deal? I have no use for the Lawn Boy stuff I picked it up at an auction about 5 years ago and haven't touched it in 4.5 years lol.

I have that measurer, and have been using it for close to fifteen years. Will throw ball powders to +/- .1 grain, but so will my old Lyman #55. The one serious advantage (as well as a disadvantage) is that I never have to dial it in if I've used that charge before. I keep a note book telling me how many clicks for a certain charge. The down side is that you now learn to work in clicks instead of numbers. I hate the powder bottles they use, but you can buy them on the cheap at a good camping outlet store. My Lyman has the Sinclair bottle adapter, and that's almost as good as it can get. Your next issue with the Harrell is drop tubes. I now have a cigar box full of them for different applications. You can pretty much forget accurate measurements with stick powders. Mine does 3031 +/- .25 grains, and pretty much the same with 2015.
H4350 will be lucky to come in plus or minus a half grain. I usually stop a half grain short and trickle from there. Another issue I ran into was mounting the Harrell to a stand. I ended up making a hand full and giving them to buddies that bought them. By now somebody surely has a stand out for them.

You'll like the Harrell, but it'll make you think a bit. Once you learn it's quirks, you'll love it. I know a couple guys that use the press, and it seems to be OK. Nice thing about is that it's small and light weight. They use it at the range, and so be it. I use Wilson dies at the range with an arbor press. Results are similar. The press is supposed to be .308 friendly, but none of those guys like doing .308 brass with it. It works best with PPC and .223 stuff.
gary

I'm not loading any .223 size stuff at this time. Maybe a few .222 now and then but not very much. Hmmmm I'm thinking I don't need this although it sounds like good stuff. If the gentleman is willing to just sell it I will let everyone here know.

I use the BR powder measure and it is the best of several makes and models! Very accurate
Doc

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.