Hard to believe

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
He can probably do it with his Daisy Red Rider as well.

I've got to chime in again. I bought a box of fifty Black Hills reloaded Lake City brass .223 ammo in the early 80's. I was shooting it in a M700 VS topped with a 10 power Weaver target scope. That combination was deadly accurate! With a dead solid rest, I was consistently making one shot hits on prairie dogs on a ditch bank over 400 yards away. That was with a dead solid rest. I can't remember how many MOA I had to adjust the scope, but it was substantial and I was constantly having to make adjustments for winds. I didn't and couldn't attempt further shots, but I think that I had reached the limit of my eguipment. I have used that rifle in Bangalore matches. I was never able to make constant hits past 400 yards. I never tried to shoot at 800 yards because past about 600 yards, bullet impacts were hard to see. Irregardless, I could never make consistent hits much past 400 yards in a controlled situation using a solid Caldwell rest on a concrete bench. I'm running up the B.S. flag.

Consistent .....😂. I live on the border of ND and Mt. I do a lot of dog shooting, main rifles 204R. On calm days we have hit dogs out at 880 yards, but like others have stated, it definitely wasn't first shot, usually one guy spotting, giving best guess moa corrections. A good friend made it in 5 shots one time, that's the lowest Miss shot count at that distance on a P-Dog. I can honestly say I've missed more out there at 850+ then I'll ever hit.😁. My bullet of choice is a 40gr Berger, 27.7grns of H4895, CCI450. I have a Kimber 84M and a Cooper M21 with big scopes 😉

Consistent .....😂. I live on the border of ND and Mt. I do a lot of dog shooting, main rifles 204R. On calm days we have hit dogs out at 880 yards, but like others have stated, it definitely wasn't first shot, usually one guy spotting, giving best guess moa corrections. A good friend made it in 5 shots one time, that's the lowest Miss shot count at that distance on a P-Dog. I can honestly say I've missed more out there at 850+ then I'll ever hit.😁. My bullet of choice is a 40gr Berger, 27.7grns of H4895, CCI450. I have a Kimber 84M and a Cooper M21 with big scopes 😉
I've got a No.1 in 204 Ruger and a .257 Weatherby for rock chucks. I limit my shots to 300 yards, and it is something to see 'em fly when hit with those lightening rounds :)

Now that is luck! At 4,000 FPS with that bullet you will be under 1000 FPS at 880 yards. 880 yards would be 800+/- FPS at 4,000 with 40 grain and .227 BC. I have issues at 400 yards on a calm day with mine hitting sod puppies and a 39 gr BK.

Yes it is lots of luck and patience. I don't see the problem with trying on a P-dog at Long Range....it's great practice for scope adjustments, proper shooting technique, trigger squeeze, breathing ect. My Varmint triggers are around 7-8oz, so not squeezing real hard. Last summer my father came out here for his first time, I'm not sure if he really believed me or not about shooting p-dogs that far away. He was shooting my Cooper with the Vortex Razzor HD on top. I think it was around 15 shots, but finally connected at 785ish. We were on the flat and shooting up on a hillside a near the end of the poker Jim dog town. The breeze was up and down and seemed to swirl around a lot. Pups were out and not very smart yet. I know the ol'Man believes it now. Also he doesn't question why such big scopes on varmint rifles anymore either

If I was going to shoot them at range, I am certain I would prefer my 300WM so even if close enough the grenade effect from fragments would still count as "kill"!

Yes I'm very aware what the bullet is doing at those ranges. We use Ballistic A&E, conducted bullet drop test to 500 yards and entered that into the ballistic app as well. I've ran the loads by the LabRadar so all my information is input as accurate as possible. I'm not on here to brag or argue with anyone. This post started out saying the ar 223 was constantly hitting way out there. All I'm saying is I've made shots similar, and watched a couple others also make the shots. I never said I was consistently doing it.

I'd be happy to do it once! And that would be all the consistency I would need! Drop the round after a hit! Kudo's to anyone calling out the corrections too, that is a science within itself!

Reminds me of a family friend who claims easily hitting a foot square plate at 1000 yds with a 9mm pistol. We all have known he's full of it for years.
We had a guy in our hunting club for a while that was always bragging about how his kid could shoot cause he was on the rifle team at his high school. His kid was decent kid so we didn't bust his chops. During a dove shoot one year his kid was whiffing everything he pointed his shotgun at. I jokingly said " I thought you said he could shoot". His dad proceeded to tell me he could put three shots into a quarter at 1000yds with his 270 while standing. I asked if he thought he could put five into it. His dad said he could. So i offered to contact Guiness since that would be a world record group. He shut up after that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.