Hard to believe

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
I also read a post 3 days ago about something I found difficult to believe. This man claims his friend can shoot 5.5" groups at 1,000 yards with a military rifle and open sights. Thoughts ?

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
There had to be whiskey, sarcasm or mental instability involved.

Well something similar happened with some friends of mine. This guy at the gun store was saying he shot his deer or elk at 850 yards. I don't remember the caliber of gun, but it doesn't matter. So they took them to a their private range that has various steel target set up out to 1000 yards. They asked him to pick the target that was at the range he shot. He actually pick a steel that was only at around 300 yards and he couldn't hit that with his gun. Moral to the story guys dont know how to measure their pecker let alone the range of an animal.

Well, I'm not so sure about this, I don't think it's any harder to believe than the guy that shoots and kills a Polar Bear with one shot from his .22 Ruger MkI pistol, Ok perhaps I'm wrong... 850 yards, 40gr, and 50gr bullets from a .223 Rem in 30 mph wind. What's that old saying, fairy tail starts out; once upon a time, and a war story starts out this ain't no "s" I think what we have here is a war story from the varmint field one-way range of life, as they say; I know the rumor is true I started it myself. :)

Yea anyhing is possible when you need to engineer something. I remember back in the day when we ran out of 7.62 ammo for our sniper rifles. We just took our 5.56 cartridges removed the bullets, dumped out the powder replaced with C-4 from demolition charge and got about 93,000 fps veloicty to send those 69 gr green tips out past 2,000 meters. Didn't have to worry about wind or much bullet drop with that velocity. That load made it like a LASER! I would call the guy out and ask him if he was in my same squad in Corps using C-4 for propellent.

Oh No!!!
I guess I have been feeling too Proud of my "One" successful shot @750 with a full value 30 mph. Wind w/200 Gr. .338 bullet starting out @ 3290 FPS..... & just behind the shoulder — needed to be in The Eye 👁 I guess

Sure and Biden won the election fair and square.

It can be done with an 20" bbl, 1:7 twist & 77 gr bullets. Usually achieved around 3-4am during REM sleep.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.