Hard to believe

Lol, letting crap like this slide IMO just enables others to come up with equally stupid stories. I'm surprised it flew on a gun forum, now, at a gun counter in a store it becomes standard fare.
When a mans right a man is right, why didn't I say something ? I guess I will politely fill him in on the drop and drift ! I have been call out and rightfully so.

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
He either has the wind reading skills to be the best long range marksman in world history or he's grossly exaggerating. 30 mph wind, 50 grain bullets, 850 yards...... Unbelievable.

Lol, letting crap like this slide IMO just enables others to come up with equally stupid stories. I'm surprised it flew on a gun forum, now, at a gun counter in a store it becomes standard fare.
I totally understand what you are saying.

I have friends that claim to shoot 1000 yards, all that stuff, but only put 3-4 down the range each year to check their scopes zero before hunting. I don't even bother challenging them. I also won't hunt with some of my friends. Great friends, but don't think they would be good hunting partners.

I will be the one that says I limit myself to 400 yards in the field (or shorter based on conditions). I am honest with my own ability. I have missed off hand shots at 150-200 yards.

I realize others will only tell the good, they won't say I had a bad day at the range, even though we all know it happens. This is analogous to a friend that plays poker and gambles a lot. He brags when he wins, but won't say he peep when he doesn't. One time he came to a BBQ and told all of us he won $1500 the night before. I asked him "what about the weekend before". He quickly changed the subject.

When a mans right a man is right, why didn't I say something ? I guess I will politely fill him in on the drop and drift ! I have been call out and rightfully so.
Lol, you did nothing wrong here, matter of fact, you brought some enjoyment, to me at least. In truth, I probably would have scrolled by too, there comes a time they say.

I once shot a prairie dog at 1050 yards (best I could range it on that flat land) with my 7mmRemMag. PERFECT SHOT. blew the little guy in half.

The part that I like to leave out is that it took me 15 shots with a spotter to do it;)

Lol, you did nothing wrong here, matter of fact, you brought some enjoyment, to me at least. In truth, I probably would have scrolled by too, there comes a time they say.
Yep, when your contributing to the think tank every day trying to add good content and help people with their reloading issues. It's nice to see some good humor CROSS OUR SIGHTS. ( Some people can't separate real world scenarios and Physics from the BS.):)
My only problem with this post so far is. I HAVN'T SEEN THE DEER EATING POPCORN. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.