Hard to believe

Depends on what he means by "consistent hits".
To be honest, an AR @ 850 is not a terrible platform and unbelievable. But that target size and bullet combo, along with the wind claims is where it gets into the fantastical realm. I have gone 90% on 12" steel @ 850 with my 24" AR Varminter pushing 69SMKs @ 3033fps, but never in the wind. Always on calm days. Throw an inconsistent breeze (3-5mph) in there, and my hit rates drop to 30%. Just way too much wind drift variation to be able to judge that.
3mph=27" drift
4mph=35" drift
5mph=45" drift
28mph=249" drift
29mph=258" drift
30mph=267" drift
A 1mph difference make an 10-11" difference in wind drift with a 69SMK @ 850yds.

My 50gr VMax load at 3300 is unreal.for wind drift. No way is it possible to make "consistent" hits on a 3" wide target at 850 in 28-30mph winds.
28=380" drift
29=393" drift
30=408" drift

I have never, EVER, seen a sustained consistent 30mph wind across a half mile flat field in the wild...

Last edited:
Depends on what he means by "consistent hits".
To be honest, an AR @ 850 is not a terrible platform and unbelievable. But that target size and bullet combo, along with the wind claims is where it gets into the fantastical realm. I have gone 90% on 12" steel @ 850 with my 24" AR Varminter pushing 69SMKs @ 3033fps, but never in the wind. Always on calm days. Throw an inconsistent breeze (3-5mph) in there, and my hit rates drop to 30%. Just way too much wind drift variation to be able to judge that.
3mph=27" drift
4mph=35" drift
5mph=45" drift
28mph=249" drift
29mph=258" drift
30mph=267" drift
A 1mph difference make an 10-11" difference in wind drift with a 69SMK @ 850yds.

My 50gr VMax load at 3300 is unreal.for wind drift. No way is it possible to make "consistent" hits on a 3" wide target at 850 in 28-30mph winds.
28=380" drift
29=393" drift
30=408" drift

I have never, EVER, seen a sustained consistent 30mph wind across a half mile flat field in the wild...
Not quoting you because you said anything wrong here, I agree 100% with what you said.
But from my experience, like yours, shooting light 22 cal bullets at distance, even if you could nail your wind call, the vertical dispersion imparted by wind on light bullets will negate anything you did right, especially on a prairie dog size target.
Most 40 & 50gr bullets are not boatails, and suffer disruptions from wind more.

In this instance, calling a spade a spade is a better move than trying to believe such nonsense.

At 300+ yards many shooters are generally content with 1 MOA accuracy, and are thrilled if/when they can get into sub-MOA territory. Now, at 850 yards, even a fully grown prairie dog sitting perfectly broadside only presents a <.5 MOA-sized target at that range. If this guy is consistently hitting that target in 30 MPH crosswinds, with only mid-weight .223 bullets, you should do one of two things: either go buy a lottery ticket or inform the authorities that you've found Bob Lee Swagger.

I'm thinking two typos: he meant to say 85.0 yards with a 3.0 mph wind.
If I started to believe these "unbelievable" claims, I would not be happy when I pull off a cloverleaf at 100 yards.
D
You folks may be a little hard on the shooter from the "other" forum. Perhaps he mis-stated his cartridge......could he have possibly meant a .223 Creedmore fired in his AR platform! Asking for a friend! :D😉 memtb
Lol nope had to read it twice , 850 yards 25 to 35 mph winds shooting when the wind hit 30 mph and consistent hits with the 223 AR !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts