Hard loading hand loads

I have a ton of freebore. The gunsmith accidentally throated it an extra .100 over what I asked. So I don't think that would be the issue even if it was compressed and the bullet pushed out for a long coal.

I loaded up some 180eldms for my 7saum for my elk hunt. I test fed all of them and they all fed fine. Opening morning I load up and they won't load. The bolt went all the way forward, but the handle wouldn't close. Finally I found one that would close with significant effort.

Here's what I think my issue was. I have a suppressor with 300-350 rounds through it. Every time I would take it off and bang it on the table a bunch of black "stuff" would come off. I assume carbon? I think that carbon got dislodged and fell into the action. The action looked dirty and although I didn't have a way to clean it, I ran a twisted paper towel up into it and it seemed to come out pretty dirty.

When I shot my bull the case came out with some black stuff on the shoulder and it was just really dirty in general. More carbon I assume?

Am I on the right path here?
That's about as dirty a case as I've ever seen. Gun needs serious maintenance! Clean the head of your bolt thoroughly as well...it only takes a small piece of any STUFF lodged in the ring to stop the bolt from closing! Have had it happen a time or two!

That's about as dirty a case as I've ever seen. Gun needs serious maintenance! Clean the head of your bolt thoroughly as well...it only takes a small piece of any STUFF lodged in the ring to stop the bolt from closing! Have had it happen a time or two!

I've heard H1000 dirty. And with the suppressor. It doesn't have that many rounds after the last cleaning.

I use H1000 in 5 different guns/ loads....never experienced that!
And suppressed? Gun has less than 200 total rounds and I've cleaned it 2x. I didn't put a ton of effort into cleaning the chamber. I have to think it's coming out of the suppressor and falling back into the chamber, but what do I know. Lol!

And suppressed? Gun has less than 200 total rounds and I've cleaned it 2x. I didn't put a ton of effort into cleaning the chamber. I have to think it's coming out of the suppressor and falling back into the chamber, but what do I know. Lol!
You could very well be right on that...but I'm Canadian and can't comment on the suppressor....they are too SCARY FOR CANADIANS TO OWN....our P.M. doesn't care about hearing loss...only Marijuana and removing our Black scary guns...because we all know that Black guns kill better than any other color!😂....

Seriously...with that much carbon clean the head of your bolt..you'd be surprised how the smallest compacted piece will stop it from closing...blast it WD 40 and use a toothbrush on it to get under the pickup ring!

Seriously...with that much carbon clean the head of your bolt..you'd be surprised how the smallest compacted piece will stop it from closing...blast it WD 40 and use a toothbrush on it to get under the pickup ring!
I just called thunderbeast arms. They said that was almost 100% the cause. Rattling around on dirt roads then hiking in with the barrel up he said little flakes of carbon for sure fell down into the chamber if I had 400 or 500 rounds without cleaning the suppressor. Something for all of you guys that shoot suppressed to consider. I'm going to clean it tonight so it doesn't happen again!

What OAL did you load at? And the next morning what was the OAL? From experience I have seen compressed loads physically push the bullet lengthening the OAL.
^^^ Which can cause the bullet to be jammed in the lands. That will also increase pressure.

That amount of carbon on the brass and the black pits (depressions from fire forming on top of debris) suggest that your conclusion is pretty likely.

If it doesn't fit, don't force it. I'm not "that dude", but this could have been catastrophic. Glad you got your bull and din't blow up.

^^^ Which can cause the bullet to be jammed in the lands. That will also increase pressure.

That amount of carbon on the brass and the black pits (depressions from fire forming on top of debris) suggest that your conclusion is pretty likely.

If it doesn't fit, don't force it. I'm not "that dude", but this could have been catastrophic. Glad you got your bull and din't blow up.
Agreed, that wasn't an issue in my case due to a huge jump I have. I was worried about jamming that case up against the "shoulder" of barrel increasing pressure, but the only option was to go home and fix or take a chance knowing that I wasn't jamming the lands.

Just finished cleaning the action, barrel and suppressor. Guess what loads like a dream again…yep, my reloads! Some were starting to stick a little, I thought I needed to trim the cases but no more sticking when I close the bolt. Look what came out. This might mess up some headspace!

Attachments

• FA3D6D24-951F-42DD-A7C8-EAA36A2B83B7.jpeg
    FA3D6D24-951F-42DD-A7C8-EAA36A2B83B7.jpeg
    731.9 KB · Views: 50
Just finished cleaning the action, barrel and suppressor. Guess what loads like a dream again…yep, my reloads! Some were starting to stick a little, I thought I needed to trim the cases but no more sticking when I close the bolt. Look what came out. This might mess up some headspace!
Yup...well done! Wasn't that scary at all😃