Hard loading hand loads

Ucsdryder

I loaded up some 180eldms for my 7saum for my elk hunt. I test fed all of them and they all fed fine. Opening morning I load up and they won't load. The bolt went all the way forward, but the handle wouldn't close. Finally I found one that would close with significant effort.

Here's what I think my issue was. I have a suppressor with 300-350 rounds through it. Every time I would take it off and bang it on the table a bunch of black "stuff" would come off. I assume carbon? I think that carbon got dislodged and fell into the action. The action looked dirty and although I didn't have a way to clean it, I ran a twisted paper towel up into it and it seemed to come out pretty dirty.

When I shot my bull the case came out with some black stuff on the shoulder and it was just really dirty in general. More carbon I assume?

Am I on the right path here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 246
Best way to clean carbon from the chamber is a 20 gauge cotton bore mop soaked in Carbie cleaner and spun with a cordless, if no cordless just use a short pistol cleaning rod manually.
Suppressors will blow back all the crud into the barrel, just a simple fact of suppressor life.

Cheers.

Best way to clean carbon from the chamber is a 20 gauge cotton bore mop soaked in Carbie cleaner and spun with a cordless, if no cordless just use a short pistol cleaning rod manually.
Suppressors will blow back all the crud into the barrel, just a simple fact of suppressor life.

Cheers.
I'm glad I found out the hard, but not super hard way! Thanks guys!

If the ambient was way down, sometimes lubricant will "gel", making bolt closure hard. The carbon on the necks indicates it didn't seal well. Get that chamber squeaky clean and make sure no lube residue is on the cases that can transfer to the chamber.

If the ambient was way down, sometimes lubricant will "gel", making bolt closure hard. The carbon on the necks indicates it didn't seal well. Get that chamber squeaky clean and make sure no lube residue is on the cases that can transfer to the chamber.
It was 18°. I also got a ejector mark on the brass from the shot that I shot my bull with. So I was definitely getting a little bit of increased pressure which I assume was from the case being jammed in there. I ordered some 20 gauge swabs and I'll get her cleaned out.

It was 18°. I also got a ejector mark on the brass from the shot that I shot my ball with. So I was definitely getting a little bit of increased pressure which I assume was from the case being jammed in there. I ordered some 20 gauge swabs and I'll get her cleaned out.
Just a bit of residual lube can keep the case from "gripping" the chamber, causing the case to be slammed into the bolt. It looks like overpressure but it isn't.

Cheers.
I have used carburetor cleaner with the straw attached to clean chambers. Suprised to see the how much "mung" comes out! I would guess it would work well on the cans as much carbon gets built up in them. Perhaps an empty coffee can with mineral spirts would work to immerse the suppressor muzzle to clean it. Just thinking out loud here.
HTH

I have used carburetor cleaner with the straw attached to clean chambers. Suprised to see the how much "mung" comes out! I would guess it would work well on the cans as much carbon gets built up in them. Perhaps an empty coffee can with mineral spirts would work to immerse the suppressor muzzle to clean it. Just thinking out loud here.
HTH
I believe tbac recommends soaking in clr right up to the threads but not the threads. It's titanium, threads are steel. I need to call them.

I loaded up some 180eldms for my 7saum for my elk hunt. I test fed all of them and they all fed fine. Opening morning I load up and they won't load. The bolt went all the way forward, but the handle wouldn't close. Finally I found one that would close with significant effort.

Here's what I think my issue was. I have a suppressor with 300-350 rounds through it. Every time I would take it off and bang it on the table a bunch of black "stuff" would come off. I assume carbon? I think that carbon got dislodged and fell into the action. The action looked dirty and although I didn't have a way to clean it, I ran a twisted paper towel up into it and it seemed to come out pretty dirty.

When I shot my bull the case came out with some black stuff on the shoulder and it was just really dirty in general. More carbon I assume?

Am I on the right path here?
What OAL did you load at? And the next morning what was the OAL? From experience I have seen compressed loads physically push the bullet lengthening the OAL.