Hard/impossible extraction Rem 700

Photo of brass-Necks. Looks like a bushing die was used.

I would want to know chambers neck diameter & loaded rounds outside neck diameter. Is there enough clearance? Minimum of .003"
Or compare a loaded rounds OD to fired brass OD.

Did brass start life as a 7mm, then necked down. Has a donut formed after a few loadings.

Trim length checked & compared to chamber length.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies Guys
It is a 6.5 Saum, this rifle has a Shillen #2 or similar profile barrel with carbon stock & easily shoots sub 1/2 moa & always has, quite impressive for such a light rifle.
It doesn't appear to be overloaded, but I don't have access to the brass, which has only been fired in the rifle.
I can't get a bore scope into the rifle as I don't currently have it.
It wouldn't easily extract two bits of fired brass I got back with the rifle at one stage.
I realised the brass was dirty & probably the chamber was as well so gave the chamber a clean & quick polish with Autosol, after which the dirty brass extracted flawlessly
I think after a year or so the chamber is dirty again possibly due to cleaning fluid contamination or water etc (this is a hunting rifle) or the stuff off dirty brass being forced into the chamber again, seems to have be happening since the rifle was built
The owner is adamant it is solely a primary extraction issue
I find this hard to believe considering the brass was left behind in the chamber when the bolt was opened & hit back,
In my opinion no amount of primary extraction will help if the case is stuck so firmly in the chamber that the rim is torn off or the extractor cams over it, requiring a cleaning rod to remove it from the chamber ?
Your thoughts ?
Can the Rem 700 primary extraction cams be hurt/damaged by repeated abuse ?
I
A custom Saum Rem 700 SA that has had the primary extraction fixed is refusing to extract a fired case from the chamber again.

This rifle was working great, extracting just fine after the chamber was polished but over many months sitting in the safe & with use it gets worse & worse

The bolt will come up but when the bolt handle is hit to remove the case it is reluctant to come out or stays in the chamber with the extractor partially ripping the rim off requiring the use of a cleaning rod

Is this a primary extraction issue ?

Is the dirty chamber & or brass issue ?

The load has been backed off but there is possibly a carbon ring/build up

Any ideas on this ?
I had a Remington 700 7mm Remington mag that didn't want to extract sometimes. It had the factory extractor. I had a mini m16 extractor installed. It extracts easily and flawlessly now. The case doesn't even try to stick.

Sorry, when you said "No primary extraction" are you saying that primary extraction was the issue?

Sorry, when you said "No primary extraction" are you saying that primary extraction was the issue?
Yes that is correct. As a result of previous repair attempts is was not possible to reposition the handle on the bolt body again.
A new PTG One piece bolt was supplied and installed. Now the primary extraction cams engage as bolt is lifed and cases are extracted correctly. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Why it took another Gunsmith to repair this issue and at my cost rather than the supplier/builder is another story all together.............

Thanks. I wanted to be clear because I just worked on a 700 where I retimed the bolt (moved it forward 40 thou) and this happens with higher pressure reloads. The bolt lift is smooth but it takes force to pull it straight back. There seems to be extractor marks more often then not but its not consistent. Factor ammo works just fine all the time.

Put a feeler guage between front of bolt handle and the receiver. Tell us how big that gap is. The smaller the better.
Shep
Now I have the rifle back to answer your question
20 thou feeler guage with original bolt fitted and fired case.

I never realized how fragile some older 700 extractors can be on our well used actions. With my older safe line up I am beginning to have more confidence in sako style extractor. Only the best of the best gunsmiths should be depended on for this important advice on various 700 extractor replacement options.

And to further add after giving the rifle with its newly fitted PTG bolt a good workout today back with the original load developed for the rifle by the original poster but using my "****** old dirty brass" as he put it. Everything extracted easily and perfectly 100% and accuracy was as usual stellar.

SO apparently the problem was not me or my reloading practices, my failure to clean the rifle properly or indeed or anything else I have done.

Maybe it was the shoddy series of attempted repairs he or his gunsmiths did to my bolt after the handle came loose the first time?? Something which he steadfastly totally refuses could be the issue in any way at all.

Up till now I have refrained from posting pictures but here is a picture of the Tig job and you can see the remains of the attempt to screw it on and.................if you are reading this KiwiGreg, you were given every chance to put it right!!
I'm still spewing that I had to pay a third party more money to fix it when you couldn't and would not admit you couldn't and that it was everyone elses fault.
Old bolt is hanging on my gunroom wall now to remind me some people cannot be trusted at their word.

rdMRqmM.jpg

LoGreUD.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.