Yes, I agree with the RR serial # actions having issues. I had a Rem 700 with an RR serial number in 22-250 and it wouldn’t even extract a fired factory ammo load. It would chamber the round just fine, but after firing it was almost impossible to extract the case. Come to find out the bolt handle was tigged onto the bolt just a touch out of battery. Ended up ordering a new one piece bolt from PTG and got lucky that I didn’t have to have the headspace changed.Serial numbers that start with RR is when it all went sideways for the most part.
Just how dirty. A bad combinitaion of components can produce strange results & secondary pressure spikes.the stuff off dirty brass being forced into the chamber
The Rem 700 doesn't have a high surface area cam like the Defiance for instance & isn't as aggressive.You have described two issues.
"Hit back" is one of them. The bolt shouldn't have to be "hit back". If it lifts to the stop, the primary extraction cam should have already moved it back far enough to loosen the case in the chamber. At this point you should be able to point the muzzle to the sky and it shouldn't take much more than gravity to open the bolt and eject the case.
"Ripping the rim off" is another. If you are "ripping the rim off" your case is stuck in the chamber. The reason why will have to be determined by someone in possession of the rifle and brass.
The brass is just dirty from use, doesn't appear to have been cleaned after after multiple reloads, when fired the residue on the cases will be pushed onto the chamberJust how dirty. A bad combination of components can produce strange results & secondary pressure spikes.
Are your case rims being ripped off?Funny thing the Internet I stumbled across this thread turns and it out its regarding my actual rifle, a Remington M700SA in 6.5RSAUM. It has a Serial number in the RR series
This thread has made interesting reading
The rifle was quoted for and built 2014 exactly as quoted. All parts were new and none supplied by me. The rifle was to be my “hunting rifle” and as such is only used 3maybe 4 times a year to fill the freezer. (I have other rifles for range shooting.)
It shot the load, supplied with the rifle superbly for some time, then began to have extraction issues and I found the solder was letting go where the bolt body / handle were joined. ( I believe there were primary extraction issues encountered during the build)
It was sent away to be fixed by the supplier and then my extraction issues appeared.
(Pretty much exactly as described by Oki22br above)
Since then the bolt handle has been re-soldered , screwed and finally last time tigg’d on, I do not believe the welding job was well executed at all.
I could post a picture but that is unfair on the supplier as he personally did not to the work I believe.
I firmly believe the issue is primary extraction related and quite possibly made worse as the result of repair attempts.
If I look closely on the extraction cam’s I cannot see any evidence, they actually meet or contact at any point in the extraction cycle. There are no polish marks on either surface which would indicate they have been in contact.
I replaced All my brass after the last repair attempt on the recommendation of the builder/supplier, but issue persists. I cannot try factory ammunition as there is none available.
The rifle was only worked on by the supplier or his gunsmith(s), until just recently, see below.
I no longer have the rifle in my possession currently, it has been sent to an independent gunsmith for repair at my cost as I feel 3-4 attempts by the supplier, over time, for a successful resolution is more than fair.
I have since purchased a new rifle to use for hunting but do not feel I should have to just scrap the SAUM as a bad experience and cannot sell a problem rifle to someone unsuspecting.
If its somehow my fault then he will get an apology in person