Hard case extraction?

mongo

Hey guys,a newbie here and to bolt guns also,got bitten by the long range bug while out shooting service rifles with my buddies(500yds+),so I went out an added a rem 700 sendero in .300 WM to my collection(used).The problem is with extracting the cartidge.The bolt will open without force,but requires a considerable rap with the palm of my hand to extract,this has happened with win supreme 180grn and also rem core loc 150s.Only fire a few rounds of each due to this.Is this a serious problem(ie;expensive repair) or an easily fixed one,will appreciate any advice

Are the primers flat with no rounded edge and totally filling up the pocket after firing? If so, you have something causing too much pressure. Most likely culprit is an excessively dirty barrel and probably shoots groups of 3-4 inches at 100yds. Last owner may have left you with a lot of work to do. Clean the fool out of the chamber and the barrel. 3-4 hours worth- maybe more.

Another thing to look for is any strange indentations in the brass of the fired case indicating that there is something stuck to the inside of the chamber.

There are other possibilities like headspace that are still not expensive but check for the simple stuff first.

I had a browning a bolt do the same thing. Browning told me that they had cut the camber on tight sammi specs and to send it back to them. The only rounds hand loaded or factory that would cyle normal was hand loaded barnes x- bullets which measured .307, which reduced pressure. You should be able to contact Rem and they should fix the problem. A gunsmith could make a cast of the chamber and go from their , however that is added expense out of pocket.

Thanx for the replies,no flattened primers or any other signs of excessive pressure,but there does seem to be a lot of residue on the necks of the empty brass.Also a live round will drop right into the chamber but a fired case stops around where the neck starts.I cleaned it before shooting but there does appear to be some copper residue still in the bore,plan on getting some Butch's Bore shine and scrub it out.I guess if that dont work I'll take her in to a smith and get a chamber cast done.Thanks again guys and any other advice will be greatly appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.