Hard bolt pull?

Having forgotten more than you will ever know, I find you amusing.

There is no such thing as "chamber interference". Amusing all the "things" created by you youngsters that have never been mentioned in any text written by real handloading experts.

View attachment 198807View attachment 198808View attachment 198809
You know what is really neat about this knowledge base, us younger guys figuring solutions to issues like this w/o spewing over pressure garbage. We all learn when these things come up, and discussed. I am 62.
You go ahead and keep breathing through your mouth, you are amusing at best.

So you "utes" in this site are the only people in the whole wide world of reloading that have discovered this problem and think you've found a solution ?

I really encourage y'all to write an article for HANDLOADER. It's a shame the million of reloaders world wide have not been blessed with the font of knowledge you have.

Don't you think it just a bit odd that the OP tosses out the frog on the lily pad and waits for all the Largemouths to respond ?

Far too many have been locked down far too long.

You ever go into a gun shop and notice there's always one guy behind the counter that knows it all. He's also the guy that talks over everyone and is the reason many never go back there again. Or, he's the guy you avoid at all causes when you go back because all the other guys are super helpful, and talk to you as opposed talk down to you. Just sayin.

70442F9E-83D6-4934-8226-C6F39E037C3E.gif

Last edited:
The term clicker comes from the click made when the primary extraction cam breaks a tight case loose from the chamber.

If you are getting a click, that means you have primary extraction and at that point the case is free in the chamber and the bolt would come back easy. My bet is your primary extraction is lacking and you are having to do the job by pulling the bolt back, and it will be stiff. Primary extraction and clickers occur at the top of up stroke. Clicker = very tight case diameter after firing, and is not usually a pressure sign. It has nothing to do with length, that would be a stiff bolt from the very bottom of the lift and is usually a pressure sign.

To understand clickers you need to understand what is happening in the chamber. When you fire a case it expands to fit the chamber, the barrel steel also expands slightly. Both the steel and brass will spring back after the pressure drops. Brass has a much lower yield point than steel so it will yield some when the chamber steel is expanded under pressure. Now your barrel steel springs back to normal size and your brass does not since it has yielded and now you have an interference fit (tight case). This is most common just above the base of the extractor groove because that is thicker brass and many dies do not do a good job of sizing that area. The reason that sizing that area is important is because the brass will still spring back some amount after the pressure drops. If the fit in the chamber is already tight, it will not spring back enough to eject freely. The very simple way to never experience this issue is to make sure the die is sizing correctly.

If all its a sticky chamber...run a plastic brush on a drill in the chamber for a minute.....'polish' it up a bit....
Fire another round and check what happens...
Simple enough...
At least take that part out of the equation....

Guys,

I got my Delta 5 shooting pretty good with the 6.5 CRDM barrel. Today at the range, however I had a bit of an issue on occasion pulling the bolt back. No heavy lift. It would happen about every 3rd or 4th round. I'm running 4th cycle gunwerks brass and I'm bumping .002 to 1.504" on the Sinclair comparator. No signs of pressure on the brass, no cratered primers, etc. Headspace is good. This is a 37.2 grain charge under a 143 ELD-X and I'm .003 off the lands. I'm wondering what gives? I have a theory that maybe the neck turning striations have created more friction in the throat upon expansion but I didn't have any loads that were un-turned to test this theory. Maybe that or dirty bolt raceways or mortises? Any ideas? It didn't seem to do this as a .308. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Are you neck sizing or full length?

The term clicker comes from the click made when the primary extraction cam breaks a tight case loose from the chamber.

If you are getting a click, that means you have primary extraction and at that point the case is free in the chamber and the bolt would come back easy. My bet is your primary extraction is lacking and you are having to do the job by pulling the bolt back, and it will be stiff. Primary extraction and clickers occur at the top of up stroke. Clicker = very tight case diameter after firing, and is not usually a pressure sign. It has nothing to do with length, that would be a stiff bolt from the very bottom of the lift and is usually a pressure sign.

To understand clickers you need to understand what is happening in the chamber. When you fire a case it expands to fit the chamber, the barrel steel also expands slightly. Both the steel and brass will spring back after the pressure drops. Brass has a much lower yield point than steel so it will yield some when the chamber steel is expanded under pressure. Now your barrel steel springs back to normal size and your brass does not since it has yielded and now you have an interference fit (tight case). This is most common just above the base of the extractor groove because that is thicker brass and many dies do not do a good job of sizing that area. The reason that sizing that area is important is because the brass will still spring back some amount after the pressure drops. If the fit in the chamber is already tight, it will not spring back enough to eject freely. The very simple way to never experience this issue is to make sure the die is sizing correctly.
This is most prevalent with guys who neck size only. I know- i'm guilty! After a few firings on a 300 RUM, sticking cases. After a few firings, the brass becomes fully expanded to fit the chamber, with no spring back left. I didn't matter what the load was. I picked up a body die and ran all the previously loaded rounds though it. What do you know? No more sticking cases!

What are small base dies?

Primarily designed for AR type feeding rifles. That's my take but I may be mistaken. They size the case just a tad smaller than a standard die does. I've been told this is to help eliminate feeding issues. I've never used them and if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.