Harbor Freight Tumbler

Never thought of using a rock tumbler for cleaning cartridge cases.

For dry tumbling, I use a Midway vibratory tumbler I've had since da '90s, 14" to 15" bowl ( got it that big so could also use it to clean shotshells for reloading), walnut media and corncob with polish to finish. Downside is each case has to be checked for walnut or corncob bits inside.

For wet cleaning, I use a Lyman Turbo Sonic. It's quick! Has become my principal cleaner! It does clean the primer pockets and inside cases very well. You can use the Lyman cleaning solution OR a Simple Green and water solution (smells great).
I always preheat whatever cleaning solution I pick in the microwave before putting it in the Turbo Sonic. That's quicker than waiting for the Turbo Sonic built in heater to bring the solution to heating temp before putting in the brass cases.

Now, Harbor Freight sells the Central Machinery Ultra Sonic Cleaner at a bit less than 2/3 the price of the Lyman Turbo Sonic, (looks the same, both have vibration and heat). If I didn't have the Lyman , I would get the Central Machinery Ultra Sonic Cleaner from Harbor Freight.

To speed up the wet cleaning and get to the reloading, I use a Frankford Arsenal 5 tray Brass Dryer. (Looks the same as my old cheap food dehydrator I've used to make jerky, so if you have one of those to make jerky, you can get double duty).

I use the single drum HF tumbler with stainless media for small batches of brass; have a FART for big batches. The HF works great. I have also used it to clean up tarnished bullets before loading them. The HF rotates slowly enough that the tumbling action doesn't deform exposed lead tips, unlike the FART (don't ask how I know).

I've been reloading since the mid 80's. Started out with a used RCBS tumbler. Worked great many years. I purchased a Frankford wet tumbler on a Black Friday sale. I'll never go back to a dry tumbler. Just starting out a HF tumbler should work fine but if you see a good wet tumbler on sale I suggest you grab it.

I have used that exact model for 5 years now. I can do approximately 100 6.5 PRC or maybe 50 357 H&H cases at a time. It does work pretty well and especially for the price I have found it to be satisfactory

I use the full size drum with dawn and pins.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 43
This summer will be 3 years that I have used the H F tumbler,no complaints so far.
The steel pins are a pain to get out but a Frankford Arsenal Magnet works great.
I will look into the SS chunks

I use the single drum HF tumbler with stainless media for small batches of brass; have a FART for big batches. The HF works great. I have also used it to clean up tarnished bullets before loading them. The HF rotates slowly enough that the tumbling action doesn't deform exposed lead tips, unlike the FART (don't ask how I know).
Kinda afraid to ask but I must,What is a FART?

I hear ya. First time I saw it referred to that way I had ask, too. Still makes me smile. I like telling my wife, "I'm going out to the garage to load the FART." She rolls her eyes and I stifle my laughter.