Harbor Freight Tumbler

I've got the Harbor model with steel pins. I'm in no hurry,and just a hunter who rolls his own. Works great,brass comes out beautiful
Same here #1!
I use the Harbor Freight. I only ever load small quantities of rifle, no pistol. I can clean 100 cases of 6BR Norma or 100 cases of 223. 308 or 6.5 i can do 50 at a time. I use the SS chips instead of pins, gets the primer pockets cleaner and no stuck pins.
Same here #2!

Works for me - at least for for my quantities - usually 60 at a time ...

Anyone use the Harbor Freight rock tumbler for cleaning brass with any success?
From the very begining back in 1985, I used a rock "professional grade" tumbler. Not cheap. I used either soap and water or corn/walnust type media. I did buy one from Harborfreight for my kids to use as a rock tumbler, and later on, when I had a lot of cases, I used it for cases. Works just fine! You can use it with steel pins, walnut media soap and water...many choices

Last edited:
I used it with the pins and a little dish soap. It worked great. With .257 necks and under I'd need to shake the case to insure that the pins came out. I have since switched to a harbor freight ultrasonic and I think it works just as good with less time.
Also, I have to believe that some sort of case hardening is happening while tumbling with the stainless. I believe that's why jewelers use them. I haven't done a scientific study though. Tim

Great for small batches. I use mainly for cleaning bullets. It's small and quiet... Perfect for small jobs. Haven't tried Large cases... But Grendel, Hornets and pistol brass come out spotless. In my opinion, it does a much better job cleaning bullets than my Big ones.

... have to believe that some sort of case hardening is happening while tumbling with the stainless ... I haven't done a scientific study though.
That analysis has been done ... tumbling brass is just not 'working' it! Think of bending a paperclip as an example of 'work'; as you 'moved' the metal beyond its parent state.

Brass is a unique metal that is perfect for ammunition; strong enough to contain the explosion inside a rifle's chamber, yet soft enough to form to the chamber to prevent a gas leak. When it comes to hardening and softening cartridge brass (alloy C260), there are only 3 factors that affect the hardness. Those factors are:

#1 The amount of work done to the brass
#2 The amount of heat (temperature) applied to the brass
#3 The duration of time the brass remains at the elevated temperature.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, but for several years I have used three of the two-can tumblers from Harbour Freight and will buy another when the time comes to replace one. I use the wet pin/Joy/LemiShine method, but because of the weight of the media, I only use one can at a time on two tumblers, since two cans of media, water, and brass exceeds the weight limit of that model of tumbler. After years of walnuts, corn cobs, and messy results, I couldn't be happier with the way the brass cleans inside and out, especially when using the cleaned brass to load ammunition that could be stored for an extended time. At some point I actually read the instructions for the tumblers and now follow their lubrication instructions, which helps extend the tumblers serviceable life. Great product for the money, especially when you can catch a coupon or sale.

It works. My suggestion is to get one of the major reloading brands while it's on sale.

My venture in this was that it performed adequately but size of batches and it being finicky and binding randomly until I noticed the burnt rubber smell of the rollers. Now that I've used the full size wet tumbler made for it I would recommend trying to save the $60.

I would only use the very finest grit and check frequently. 30 minutes at a time. I used the medium grit and run 2 hours and cases were very rough and i just stopped using it. Also could only do small batches.

yep, that's what i bought back when i was actually reloading. it's stored away in the garage right now as i dont have room/time to do it. i think i paid $50 for it? i've had it for 10 years probably.

if i remember right, i could do 50 cases (25 in each) i used stainless steel pin media with a little dawn dish soap and some lemi brite. i always thought it worked great but i've never used anything else. i'd let it go for about an hour somewhere that i couldnt hear it as it was a little loud.

I have two rock tumblers left over from when my kids were actually interested in shining up some stones. I have used both, but mainly the larger one for cleaning brass. Dawn, lemon shine, or a dab of brasso and a little water with several pins...comes out perfectly for even the dirtiest brass.

I don't tumble a lot of brass at one time though. Just me and my three sons shooting.

Anyone use the Harbor Freight rock tumbler for cleaning brass with any success?
They probably all work well! I use a Thumbler Tumbler but the real trick is the stainless steel "pins"! Use a bit of lemishine 1/3 teaspoon max and Dawn detergent ( 1 good squirt)
Rinse brass thoroughly in water after tumbling for 1 1/2 to 2 hour.