Happy Birthday 7STW

Discussion in '7mm STW' started by jasonco, Sep 11, 2018.

1. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member

Just read Layne's new Shooting Times article about the 7STW turning 30 years old, GOOD STUFF! I had mine built in 1993 if I remember correctly? Thinking about doing another, with all the load data I built, the good and the bad, it'll be no brainer to get it to where I want it to be in short order.

7stwnut and MudRunner2005 like this.
  2. troupe

troupe Well-Known Member

I remember when the article came out. I was lucky enough to get to shoot with Layne Simpson in USPSA comp. I used to tell Layne that he cost me so much money because of the STW. My first one was a Jarrett, sold it and met David Tooley. David built my next rifle and it was great. I need another STW.

jasonco likes this.
  3. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

Boy, time flies. That first ST article sure got me fired up. I immediately bought a 700 7mag and sent it to Charlie @ ScoreHigh. He was one of first to have a reamer made for the 7STW. "WOW", those 140s were fast and I was constantly trying to make them fly faster. That first barrel was really abused with all the bullet & powder testing, but it remained a "shooter" for 1,200 rds.

My current STW is a SwitchLug set up for 180s and 195s and the romance is still running hot, after all these years.

jasonco likes this.
  4. troupe

troupe Well-Known Member

I had 120's at 3720

jasonco likes this.
  5. reelhardmt

reelhardmt Well-Known Member

how fast are people pushing 180's? I have a very mild load made for my wife (her gun) 150 at 3150...kills elk nicely

6. jasonco

Pretty much the exactly the same results with mine..WOW! Mine was built with the 140NBT specifically and it was an antelope & mule deer slayer laser blaster!

7. jasonco

I was testing at 3056fps with a 27" barrel and then I found my throat to have a freebore that a Weatherby owner would be envious of :(

8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

That's about what most are pushing the 180's at... 3,050-3,150.

I've found a consistent .4 MOA load in mine at around 3,000-3,050 with the 180 Hybrids and 7828 SSC that is not showing pressure at all, but I think I can get a bit more out of it using a slower powder like 7977. I have some loaded up to try, but deer season is in right now, so I will do more testing when deer season is over in February.

9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I started hungering for one as soon as I read the article and got one of the first factory production STW's out of the Remington Custom Shop out of the first batch.

It's still a killer!

elk guide 45, 7stwnut and jasonco like this.
  10. jasonco

Even though Shooting Times ain't what it used to be, I'm still a subscriber in print & electronic.

7stwnut likes this.