Happy 16 year old

Long Time Long Ranger

My son got this huge bodied deer on opening day. 257 wby at 356 yards after a stalk of at least a mile. We made a long stalk and he had moved. Then we had to find him again and get on him again. My son was sick thinking he had got away and then just before dark we get on him again and he made the shot count. Perfect one shot kill right through the heart. The deer was massive body size. This area does not produce many huge antlers but the body size in this area is amazing.

bullschlitz

If you get to thinking about rebarreling the rifle, consider a 1-8 twist and some of the heavy 130 and 142 gr Wildcat bullets. Really changes the personality of the rifle.

Here are LTLR's pics. I'll let him tell the stories though. I'll bet his grin was bigger than his boy's. Way to go LTLR, And way to go lil-LTLR that muley is a hawg.

bridgerdeer3.jpg

bridgerdeer2.jpg

bridgerdeer8.jpg

bridgerantelope1.jpg

caribou20200920038.jpg

Last edited:
To give you an idea how big that deer is. That excited 16 year old is over 6' and 240 pounds. Out here in Wyoming most guys ride bulls. He just throws'em down on the ground and dares'em to get up. Strong as an ox. That deer has got to go 350+ pounds. He looked like a young steer out in that field. I am very happy for his dedication to ethics and shooting skills. Everything he has ever shot was one shot and down. The closest shot he has ever made on a big game animal was 319 yards on a deer.

He shot the antelope at 512 yards and split the heart perfectly in half. All these animals were shot with his 257 wby and 100 grain barnes TSX at 3780 fps.

The caribou was in Alaska back in August on the caribou hunt listed in the swap hunt section. 486 yards with same 257 wby. He hunched up, tried to walk and fell over dead. We have yet to slow one of those bullets up in an animal and the tissue destruction is amazing. If we ever recover one I will post a picture but can't argue with the results. The caribou is an average good bull for the area. Can't wait till next year's hunt. Will try and get pics up of some of the other elk, deer and antelope later.

Congrats LTLR! Great pics, that's one happy looking young hunter. Give him a big congrats from everyone on the board!

Those smiles say it all! Those wyoming Mule Deer seem to be eating well. I shot one a couple weeks ago and it was big bodied as well. Congrats to both of you,

LTLR, congratulations to you, and to your son, that is one great looking mule deer, his neck looks just huge!!! Nice pictures of the antelope and caribou!!!
Enjoyed reading, and enjoyed the pictures. The moon on his back looks great.
Thanks for posting.

Your son needs to get into wrestling. He's a big boy even if he had stopped growing already. That does put the deer into perspective. I thought that buck was big when I thought you son was 5'8-180lbs. Congrats!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.