Handy wind charts to print

goodgrouper

Found these on benchrest central and thought maybe some guys here would like to copy them even though they are more geared for the 6ppc. They still have a correlation to what we do with bigger calibers at longer distances. Enjoy.
wind20scale208.jpg

Copy3ofwind_chart_1.jpg

wind_chart_1.jpg

wind20scale207.jpg

gg,

Good post. Ned Bench came to one of our BR shoots here in Blackfoot, many years ago. I had no idea of what he was talking about then and still didn't didn't until I saw this post. The light came on about 30 years after the switch was thrown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Still out shot him, that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But how far @ what distance??? I understand the point behind the charts, but fail to see that it has any real world use other than maybe using it to somewhat explain observations in varying shooting conditions. Kind of a theory that one must try on their own to actually use.

I can say that after seeing this I will start looking much closer @ how my comeups are related to wind direction though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! Seems as though I just explained it to myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Don't worry about the bullet displacemant in the graphs.

Use the graphs when shooting and you are paying attention to what direction the wind is coming from, then shoot. If you have good dope and then have a flyer that is unusual you can correlate to the graphs and wind direction you observed and then logg it in your book or in memory.

Just another usefull tool

The first chart shows where the bullet would impact if the wind pushed it from 1, 2, 3, 10, and 12 o clock etc.

So the shooter is in the middle of the circle and gets a wind from 5 oclock. The bullet would land high and to the left but not as far to the left as if it would have been a 4 oclock wind. But the 5 oclock wind goes higher than the 4 oclock wind and so on. This is a good chart to see the percentages of wind effect on the bullet or what BR shooters call wind "value".

The second chart is similiar to the first but doesn't show quite as well the percentage effect or value. More shows the impact than value.

Third chart is connected to the second and I can't see any difference in it.

The fourth chart shows the impacts and values for differences in wind velocity and value. The diagram at the top of the chart is particularly useful as it shows the tendency of bullets to fly from a right hand twist.

As Bill figured out and Matt27 mentioned, this helps long range shooters figure out why they missed and helps them correct for varying winds when they keep a good log book or have a good memory!

Its been a while since ive seen those charts! Years in fact! These are very common in the smallbore (rimfire) 3position rifle world, and the effect is observable, but not completly consistant across all rifles with all ammo... or at all ranges for that matter. shooting only a very, very few rounds of 22rf at 100yds on a windy day will show you that this stuff happens. How much and to what extent however, is something you have to learn yourself.

Just for referance... and since this is LRH... my 220SMK load takes 2 MOA less elevation in a 10mph wind from the east (right) than it does from the west (left) at 1350... and thats allowing 1 MOA for the differances in air density due to temp changes.

Hmmmm Those are Speedy's charts that I posted a while back and they are not geared for the 6PPC. They are right hand twist barrels and are good for any bullet. The only difference would be the distance pushed due to the BC. Anybody wants the actual file for all of this I have it or you can get them from Speedy. They do work as it helped me win the last IBS 1000yd match I shot in. The wind is your friend.

I said the charts correlate to the bullets we use for shooting long range didn't I? They came from a site that deals mostly with 6ppc's and they show impact values for 6mm match bullets with 6-8 caliber ogives did they not? Our bullets will still follow the pattern but have different wind deflection magnitudes based off higher bc's as you said.

And not to be a jerk, but I didn't get these from you. I got them from a local NBRSA shooter in SLC, Utah by the name of Mike Paul who was also the one who posted them on BR central in the thread I saw. He did mention they came from your buddy speedy though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Tell him thanks for us as you probably don't live too far from him. That would be nice to have a guy like that in your backyard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes it is we eat lunch together most Fridays(not this friday as I will be on the road to shoot in Missouri) and Speedy put that together years ago for all bullets not the just 6PPC. You can call him to ask if you want. Would not want people to get the wrong idea that that chart was specific to caliber. To quote Speedy "physics are physics". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ya.... I was calling Speedy on a small bolt faced Nesika bolt he had for sale last year and he emailed the same chart too me...it is very helpful

Hi to all. Great sight, I've been reading awhile but never posted (as if you didn't already know that!!)

I'm just trying to get this straight in my own mind so here goes.

Chart 1 shows impact slightly Left with a 6 o'clock wind and slightly right with a 12. Is this due to a rifle being bore sighted only or just a higher degree of accuracy than the other charts.

Right hand twist. Left hand twist will be the reverse.

Much like a baseball pitcher and the laces on a baseball making it curve one way or the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.