hands down best brass for reloading 7mm rem mag

I've gotten pickier all the time with brass. Recently had a couple of experiences that might help a little. I weight sort. I also try to avoid brass that need primer flash hole reaming. It is very hard with hand tools to get the primer flash holes reamed identical. You can rack up new brass and look down in the rows of cases with a flash light. Under bright light, the human brain has an amazing ability to recognize asymmetry. Its probably right in there with why we can see an immobile deer (pattern recognition) but they cannot see us (if we can stay immobile, which is a human weakness!!). You can spot variation instantly with a light in the right angle.

I recently bought several large lots of brass and weight sorted them.

I bought a 200 lot of UNSORTED Nosler brass from Graf's. 270 win. Flash holes were immaculate. No variation. Weight sort revealed a very tight spread of less than 1% (highest weight minus lowest weight over mean case weight) in 192 of 200 cases. So that means practically, I threw out or re purposed 8 of 200 cases to narrow up the spread.

I bought 2 50 round lots of 280 AI Nosler brass. This was the prepped stuff. Also looked wonderful. Cost more than 3x the unsorted stuff. Weight sorted. Also VERY tight. Threw out 3 cases to get my weight spread under 0.5%.

I bought 200 rds of Norma 7mm RM brass. Flash holes are spectacular as well. Look a lot like the Noslers. Weight sorted. Once again, crazy consistent. I was able to get all under 1% with about 10 sacrificed cases.

Now, I have not shot the norma brass yet. But I was totally impressed with the stuff. I've reloaded Win and RP brass for 30 plus years. I think the better manufacturers are improving their quality control. The 7mm RM stuff I have used in the past was way too variable compared to this latest Norma brass.

I've gotten pickier all the time with brass. Recently had a couple of experiences that might help a little. I weight sort. I also try to avoid brass that need primer flash hole reaming. It is very hard with hand tools to get the primer flash holes reamed identical. You can rack up new brass and look down in the rows of cases with a flash light. Under bright light, the human brain has an amazing ability to recognize asymmetry. Its probably right in there with why we can see an immobile deer (pattern recognition) but they cannot see us (if we can stay immobile, which is a human weakness!!). You can spot variation instantly with a light in the right angle.

I recently bought several large lots of brass and weight sorted them.

I bought a 200 lot of UNSORTED Nosler brass from Graf's. 270 win. Flash holes were immaculate. No variation. Weight sort revealed a very tight spread of less than 1% (highest weight minus lowest weight over mean case weight) in 192 of 200 cases. So that means practically, I threw out or re purposed 8 of 200 cases to narrow up the spread.

I bought 2 50 round lots of 280 AI Nosler brass. This was the prepped stuff. Also looked wonderful. Cost more than 3x the unsorted stuff. Weight sorted. Also VERY tight. Threw out 3 cases to get my weight spread under 0.5%.

I bought 200 rds of Norma 7mm RM brass. Flash holes are spectacular as well. Look a lot like the Noslers. Weight sorted. Once again, crazy consistent. I was able to get all under 1% with about 10 sacrificed cases.

Now, I have not shot the norma brass yet. But I was totally impressed with the stuff. I've reloaded Win and RP brass for 30 plus years. I think the better manufacturers are improving their quality control. The 7mm RM stuff I have used in the past was way too variable compared to this latest Norma brass.

thanks! looks like it is either nosler or norma.

When @JE Custom posts I listen.

The 7RM RWS brass from Huntington is the toughest brass I've used in any caliber of any brand of brass.

In my experiences, 75% of case growth occurs after the FL sizing operation, and the other 25% is from firing pressures.

When @JE Custom posts I listen.

The 7RM RWS brass from Huntington is the toughest brass I've used in any caliber of any brand of brass.

In my experiences, 75% of case growth occurs after the FL sizing operation, and the other 25% is from firing pressures.

i definetely read his post but i don't see where he recommended a brand of brass

I don't think he did, just a plug that he's a reference to take to the bank on here.

The RWS stuff will require a 1-1.5 gr reduction in charge weights in comparison to lighter weight brass.

But the stuff is incredible tough and consistent. You will wear out several barrels with a 100 piece investment. That will likely be a lifetime if shooting out of the gun unless your using it for competitive disciplines.

It's a great cartridge, especially after the first firing if FL sized so as to headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt (as is done on the first firing) your brass life and precision will only improve.

I'm excited to try the new Enduron 8133 in mine.

I have shot about every brand of brass, that their is, and by far, as in other calibers, I find that the Norma brass is best, for me, anyway.
Great pockets, dosent stretch to bad, necks are awesome.
My vote goes to the Norma!

morning, I have used Winchester brass for 30yrs or more,
never had a problem. now hard to find. I now use Lapua,
RWS and nosler brass. now days with the lack of quality
a person should readily inspect there brass before and
after range uses. just me gbot tum

Isn't Nosler brass made by Norma, but sorted tighter by weight?

If true wouldnt nosler be a tad better?

Isn't Nosler brass made by Norma, but sorted tighter by weight?

If true wouldnt nosler be a tad better?

from what I've read , nosler used to be made by Norma .within the past couple years Nosler has bought , or teamed up with SSA ( silver state armory ) . SSA is now supposedly who makes Nosler brass .

I've always had good luck with Winchester brass in my 7 rem mag . about a year ago I bought Nosler . I had primer pocket issues . they were not cut deep enough , and so tight I could hardly seat a primer . I had to do a lot of work uniforming the primer pockets . after a couple fires I did water capacity measurements , the brass was exceptional . I'll have to see how it holds up , before I buy more .

wow,,,I can't believe it,, i called up nosler to ask who makes their brass, norma or ssa,,and the dude i talked to said he couldn't tell due to a non-disclosure agreement. so i asked him if the flash hole was drilled or punched and the phone went dead, like he hung on me.