Handloads for rem 700 308w

MrMendez

Hi to everybody. This is my first post, I hope someone can help me with my question:

I'm getting started in the reloading world, so I'm trying to find a starting point from which I can refine my handload for my rifle. Could you recommend me a good combination of bullet, oal and grains of powder? Where I live I only can buy easily RS 50. My rifle is a Rem 700 milspec 5r in 308w and I'm going to use the ammo for target shooting at 600-700 yards.

Thanks

Thank you very much for tour answer. I will have it in mind.

About the powder... I think it is similar to IMR4895 that you use in the US. I can also get Vihtavuori N135 or 150.

The truth is I am specially interested about the handload of anyone who has the same rifle than me, if it's possible.

By the way, the barrel is 1:11,2 twisted.

43650211-7521-423E-AC41-BB649CA2FD0C.jpeg I have that exact rifle and I've built a load for my buddy's milspec also.
I use 168 eldm with 44gr varget. With my old lot of eldm I had a coal of 2.805" and with my new lot I have a coal of 2.815".
I would set your bullet at 2.83"(mag length) perform a ladder test working up powder in .3gr increments at a minimum of 400 yards.
Then once your charge is found perform another ladder with seating depth working back from 2.83" by .005" increments until reaching 2.8". I'm unfamiliar with that powder but a burn rate similar to 4895 will work well.
This is a group I shot with mine at 880yards using those exact load workup techniques.
Good luck!

If you can get some Hodgdon Varget (or it's Swiss equivalent), that would be the best route, in my opinion.

For 168gr bullets, 44.0 grains of Varget is a pretty standard load that tends to shoot good in most all .308's that I've owned.

Seating depth... A good one to start with to try and get an idea is an cartridge overall length of 2.810".

Brass... Lapua is the best.

Primers, Federal 210M or CCI BR2 would be ideal.

N150 is a very good 175grn and up powder. Especially if you load long for a single shot application. 210M 175 smk 44.2, 2.815 in Lake city 118lr brass has shot very well with the Manson match reamer. (IDK the specs however it's marked match 308 win) If you try the 200eldm or Berger 200 hybrid start at 41.0 and work up.
N135 would be better suited for the 147 and 155. It works for 168's also but you don't see the speed of some other powders.
If you can find shooters world precision in your neck of the woods. It's a very good substitute performance wise for varget.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.