Handloads for 300 Win Mag

Nowind0

My father just purchased a 300 Win Mag. I am a NRA Highpower Shooter and told him that I would handload for him.
Just wondering where to start with bullets and powder.
I have some stock of Berger 168 VLD (quite many of these), Berger 175 VLD, Hornaday in 208 Amax and 150 SST. Which one should I start with? I have more, but these are the only Hunting projectiles I have.
We have places where a 400-500 yds shot is possible.
Also the powders I have are R17, H4831SC, N160. The local store also has IMR7828 SSC
Obviously, I am not limited to these, but would rather start with what I have.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

The worst Berger bullet performance I've seen is 168 VLDs from a 300 Win @ close range. I would opt for either the 175s or 208s from what you listed. I fear the 150 SSTs would be mini-grenades; especially at closer ranges. You have a decent selection of powders to get you there. Any accurate combination of the 175s or 208s should be*deadly at 500 yards.

First of all, the Berger is the last bullet I would choose for this caliber. 180 or 200 Accubonds are far better big game bullets. I killed my biggest typical mulie last fall in his bed at 587 yards with the Hornady 190 BTSP. Trouble is that Hornady quit making that bullet. Best powder I have found is H1000 in my 300 wim mag.
Thanks, Kirk

Start using the lightest bullets for range time fun and practice then tell him your going heaver, his recoil tolerance may be different then yours ,this is aGreat way to show him the difference between bullet weights and performance . Don't worry to much theirs lots of good bullets in the 165 grn n 180 grn weights. Most of all make it fun for you both n Enjoy your time together, regards to you Both , jjmp

Of the components you have I would go with the 208 AMAX and H4831sc.
Of the powders you have listed, I agree with Greyfox. Although, H1000 with 180 TTSX is what I have the best luck with in my .300 Winny (Moose/Muley/Elk/Bear loading). I wont give you my load info, for obvious reason, but its potent. Your dad may not appreciate the thumping it will give him. I don't even like it after a few rounds on the bench... gun) Start light, shoot often. I will be playing with N560 and 185 Bergers this spring too, in anticipation of a long (for me) range Pronghorn hunt. Shoot to have fun, not to impress anybody with your tolerance for recoil and muzzle blast...:) For fun shooting, I use my 6.5 Ackley...

83 grains of H1000 and 180 TSX. COAL 3.44. Bug holes at 100 yards...
As always, this is safe in my rifle, may not be in yours. Start low and work up...

180 gr balistic tips or accubonds have worked great for me. 75.5gr of rl 22, sub MOA in 3 different rifles 2 of them sub 1/2. 60 yards and in will not exit (bt) knocks them of feet never move have kills out to 400. Sub moa out to 600 on paper( as far as i have to shoot) recoil is very mild (for 300)more of push than a hard kick. A little temp sensitive but very forgiven load not to hot in summer in Alabama poi will change summer to winter about 1". 3 guns were 20" 24" and 26" barrel never chronoed nosler book says 3118 out of 24" it's close by drops at range

I've used 76gr R22 behind the older Barnes 180XBT and 180 Ballistic Tip in several 300 Win mag rifles. We shot a ton of African Plains Game, ( warthog, Impala, Blesbuck, Kudu, wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Springbuck, hartebeest, zebra) with those 300 wins/180 XBT loads. Its a great one. I'm sure the TSX and TTSX 180s would do as well or better. I loaded the 200 Accubond in my SIL's 300 RUM, its a good elk round. For a Thumper load, the 200 Partition in that 300 WinMag would be hard to beat!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.