Handloading memories

fariswm

I was thinking about my history handloading the other day as I was loading a box of 140 gr Nosler Partitions behind 58.5 grains of 4831 for my .280. I bought the Noslers in a lot of bullets I got on line in various calibers over twenty years ago and never loaded them. One of my sons is going on a hunt this week and I thought this would be a great round to use-- even if he saw an elk at reasonable range. And then I thought about how I began handloading when I got back from Vietnam. My first rifle when I got back was a Remington 700 BDL with a Leopold 3X9 scope in 7mm Mag. The memory that came to mind was brought on by the $26.50 price tag on the H4831 I was loading compared to the memory of Hornady bullets for less than $10.00 a box and H4831, H870 and H570 for $1.10 per pound. I could load used brass for about $.10 per round. Great memories.

I started reloading in the mid 70's. I really didn't know what I was doing and I didn't shoot that much. I packed all my reloading gear and supplies up in the late 70's and didn't get them back out until the mid 90's. Had to finish college, get married and start a family.

I remember bullets for $5-$6 a box, powder for $6-$7 a pound and primers for $0.50-$0.70.

Shooting and reloading is my main hobby now and I have learned a lot by reading books and using the wonders of the internet. I'm still learning so it's all fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.