Handloading for .300 WSM

tomt

I'll be going to Colorado for the second gun week to hunt elk. The Nosler 180 Partition bullet is what I have picked out to develope a load. I have a IMR 4350, H-4350, RL-17, RL-19 and several other powders. I'm developing the load in Central Florida where it's hot and going to be hunting when its' cold. I longest I plan to shoot is 300 yards because that is our longest range, might go 350 yards if the shot is right. My gun is a Browning X-bolt with a 23" stainless barrel. My goal is to have a 2MOA load (6" @ 300 yards), would like smaller but will take 2 MOA.

How much of a concern in powder selection is temperature?

It certainly can be a concern. Going from hot to cold should leave you on the the safe side of things but its hard to say how consistent it will be. I would reccomend using H4350. I found it to be the most stable in my 300 WSM and produced good accuarcy. RL-17 has been real erratic for me. H4350 may not be the most high performance but it will consistent.

Imr4350 will be just as stable and consistant, but net higher velocity, I do reccomend using standard primers, Fed210Ms or CCI BR2s.

At 300 yards temp stability is not nearly as much of a factor as it is for longer range. As long as the temperature variance doesn't induce a huge POI change, then you can run about whatever you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.