handloading 300wsm

mphstigerfan

I recently bought a winchester mdl 70 coyote in 300wsm. second box of bullets were federal premium factory ammo and groups were around 1moa. since then a friend and I have been trying to work up a load for it and I wanted to shoot 180 gr accubonds. I have all but given up on getting the accubonds to group as we have tried several different powders with nothing grouping under 1.5 moa. does anyone have any suggestions?

Try 65-66grs of Reloader 17. It is the best performing powder in the 300wsm with 180's. I am getting 3180fps out of a 26" barrel with 180's. I have had really good luck with Supreme 780 too.

I use 63 gr of 4350 with WLRM primmers and winchester brass
I get sub moa groups out to 500 yards
hope this helps
retiredcpo

I'm getting good groups with 165gr Hornady Interbonds with 69.0grs of Winchester WXR or Reloader-22 and also 65.0grs of IMR-4350.

H4350 and RL17 are good powders in the 300 WSM. RL17 will get you a good bit more velocity. I would say just keep trying different combos of bullets and powder until you get a good one. And make sure your loading procedures are accurate and consistant.

-Mark

Last edited:
I am using 65 grains of h4350 loaded to 2.855 oal with 180 ct ballistic silvertips in my tikka and its a .5" gun. Attempted the accubonds which look the same but cost twice as much and best group I could get was 2+" I was so disgusted I did not even measure it I just switched back to my cheap highly effective bullets. I have not had anything yet that shot the accubonds well.

shortmagman has been helping me develop a load and today he shot a .40 three shot group with 67 gr. of reloader 19 and 165 gr accubonds also shot a .70 with the same bullet and 69 gr reloader 19. other groups were around an inch. apparently the gun disliked the 180's. regardless of powder charge.

shortmagman has been helping me develop a load and today he shot a .40 three shot group with 67 gr. of reloader 19 and 165 gr accubonds also shot a .70 with the same bullet and 69 gr reloader 19. other groups were around an inch. apparently the gun disliked the 180's. regardless of powder charge.

What type of velocities are you getting? i picked up a 300 SAUM and thinking about shooting the 165's or the 150's. I wouldnt think the wsm and the saum would be that different. thnx

I haven't checked velocity yet. today shortmagman was just checking some loads for accuracy. next we may play with the powder charge and see what kind of velocities its getting. we do know that a similar load in a similar gun was right around 3000 with 67 gr. of rl 19. this is not a max load. no sticking and plenty of case capacity left.

Blacktail,

I get 3150 fps in my Win M70 Sporter 300 WSM with Hornady 165 SST's backed by 69 grains of RL-17. If memory service me correct this is a couple grains of max. When loaded to max (72 grains) I was getting 3250 +/-.

400bull

H4350 and RL17 are good powders in the 300 WSM. RL17 will get you a good bit more velocity. I would say just keep trying different combos of bullets and powder until you get a good one. And make sure your loading procedures are accurate and consistant.

-Mark

Mark.....What velocity did you say you were getting with RL-17? I'll be getting my 300 Sherman together pretty soon and it should like similar loads.....Rich
ALSO what was your load

elkaholic,

I asked MontanaRifleman the same thing via PM . His reply was that he got close to 200ft/sec more velocity using RL-17 VS H-4350. He reported a velocity around 3193ft/sec . Ive got a great load for H-4350 but I think If I can find a pound of 17 I'm going to give it a try.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.