Handheld Laser Rangefinders 2021 - best value, buy?

SugarCake

I could not find any up to date thread regarding rangefinders, and I guess they evolve pretty quickly compared to for example rifle scopes.

I am no expert in the subject and have previously only tried Bushnell's rangefinders for golf.

Any ideas on which rangefinders below 1,000 USD that (for hunting almost always <1500 yards) is:
1. Best value?
2. Best performance?

I have been looking around at Leica and Vortex, but there are many brands available. As I like Vortex Razor series, my first thought was to just buy the Vortex Razor HD 4000 Laser Rangefinder. But maybe there are better options available?

Maybe there are good ones who do the trick up to 1,500 yards for a lot less than 500 USD? As it will be used for hunting, the weight of the unit is more important than a super hi-tech 5000 yards capability. And I noted Leica was lighter than Vortex - but look less rugged and durable.

I have had several different ones (Leupold, Leica)over the years and it seems like as soon as you by the latest/greatest the market comes out with something better and less expensive.
I bought Leica Geovid 10x42 about 3-4 years ago for around $3,500 good out to 2000yrds. Now the newer model is about $1k less and 1K yrds more distance.

The new Leica Geovid #3200 10X42 with ballistics. The new model links up with the Krestel 5700. $2,700.00

I also like the NEW Vortex - If I were to get a LR for hunting today I would get:
VORTEX FURY HD 5000 AB 10X42 LASER RANGEFINDING BINOCULAR LRF302
$1,200 with M/E discount.

You can also get the mono compacts - much lighter and less expensive, but the binoculars are nice because of just one unit and ranging while glassing.

I have had several different ones (Leupold, Leica)over the years and it seems like as soon as you by the latest/greatest the market comes out with something better and less expensive.
I bought Leica Geovid 10x42 about 3-4 years ago for around $3,500 good out to 2000yrds. Now the newer model is about $1k less and 1K yrds more distance.

The new Leica Geovid #3200 10X42 with ballistics. The new model links up with the Krestel 5700. $2,700.00

I also like the NEW Vortex - If I were to get a LR for hunting today I would get:
VORTEX FURY HD 5000 AB 10X42 LASER RANGEFINDING BINOCULAR LRF302
$1,200 with M/E discount.

You can also get the mono compacts - much lighter and less expensive, but the binoculars are nice because of just one unit and ranging while glassing.
How is the glass in the combo units?
I've been contemplating a new rangefinder and curious about the combo units. I'd only get one if the glass quality is as good or better than my current glass.

Kris

How is the glass in the combo units?
I've been contemplating a new rangefinder and curious about the combo units. I'd only get one if the glass quality is as good or better than my current glass.

Kris
Kris
EXCELENT glass on my Leica Geovid HD Binoculars/RF. I have had R/F Binoculars since Leupold came out with the RB 800. It is real nice to be glassing and hit a button to get the range. You can also program the ballistics in the one I have now. Probably last me the rest of my time. The newer Leica model 3200 connects to your Kestrel 5700 by blue tooth for ballistics.
Real Slick!
Also a 30 year warranty.

I only mentioned that I would get the Vortex 5000 HD AB (Applied Ballistics) for hunting due to M/E discount. I would think that the glass would be very good in these just like their scopes. Also Blue Tooth with Kestrel & Garmin. Lifetime unconditional warranty.

Thanks
Len

I was just looking at the Sig 2400 rangefinders and for the price of them it sounds like I could get one of the combo units. That does all the same stuff but with just 1 piece of equipment to keep track of. Hmmmm

Kris

Check with Gunwerks about there new rangefinder coming out this year. I have one of there older model BR2 rangefinders and it is fantantic. The new one is supposed to be considerably smaller and even better. It will be over your $1000.00 price range but its a very important piece of the long range shooting puzzle. It may be worth the extra money to you. I have not seen the final product yet, only caught glimpses of it on some of there videos but it looks like it a nice little one hand operated unit. Make sure you look through as many as you can as the view thorugh each is a little different as well. Good Luck.

I could not find any up to date thread regarding rangefinders, and I guess they evolve pretty quickly compared to for example rifle scopes.

I am no expert in the subject and have previously only tried Bushnell's rangefinders for golf.

Any ideas on which rangefinders below 1,000 USD that (for hunting almost always <1500 yards) is:
1. Best value?
2. Best performance?

I have been looking around at Leica and Vortex, but there are many brands available. As I like Vortex Razor series, my first thought was to just buy the Vortex Razor HD 4000 Laser Rangefinder. But maybe there are better options available?

Maybe there are good ones who do the trick up to 1,500 yards for a lot less than 500 USD? As it will be used for hunting, the weight of the unit is more important than a super hi-tech 5000 yards capability. And I noted Leica was lighter than Vortex - but look less rugged and durable.
Fortunately there is a lot of competition & prices DO seem to be coming down. I bought a Vortex way back when rangefinders were very expensive, used it for 3 months & it began losing range. I sent it back, they fixed it, (no questions asked), & it's worked perfectly ever since. You see them on sale frequently. Good luck.

X 2 on Leica. Vortex = China. I compared the 5000 Fury to my Leica 3000 10x42. As far as the optics, Leica hands down. I also have a hand held Leica 1200 I've had for many years. Has never failed on me. I had a Leupold 1000 that the LED"s failed in. They sent me a new 1200. Same thing happened. Both Chinese.

Last edited: