Handgun question....

SidecarFlip

I know this is a long gun forum but being gun owners, we all should have a variety of firearms, at least I do......

I'm in a quandry and I have a question...

I own a Model 29-2 Smith & Wesson .44 magnum N frame revolver that I want to install an optic on. I already have the handgun scope, I've had it for sometime.

My issue is that the revolver is in pristine, original condition, spacing is very tight and even the gloss finish has little wear. It was my late uncle's and it seen some use and some serious care. I use it to handgun deer and with iron sights it's a fine shooter but I want to improve it a bit.....

The top strap is the original design 2 screw and thats where the issue is. I don't want to send it to S&W to have the third hole drilled and tapped in the top strap, something they will do (called them). That would detract from the original quality of the firearm.

I called B-Square because I was told that they made a mount that was a 2 screw with a saddle that dlamped the barrel at the base, but it's no longer in production. Warne makes a mount that fits and so does Aim-Point but I'm not sure which to get.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 41Mag that I put the B-square mount on and it wasn't a very good mount. It wouldn't hold POI and when I removed it the clamp left a mark on the gun. I then drilled and tapped the top strap and put a Wiegand weaver style rail on and it is rock solid, but if you are wanting to keep the Smith looking as it does now I would recommend finding another revolver to use as a shooter and mount a scope on it and keep your uncle's 29 as is.

That's what I was concerned about, the shifting POI. The 44 recoils fairly abruptly, not quite as much as a 41 (have one of those in Ruger like you but a Single Six).

Like I said, I can have it modified by S&W with the third tapped hole in the top strap, but I want to keep the revolver as is. It's a straight shooter, 50 yards it's on the money with iron sights.

I remeber the B Square mounts and the saddle however B-Square no longer makes the mount (I can understand why and I don't want to mar the finish.

I appreciate the information. Some firearms can't be scoped, I suspect this is one....

Had that delema myself many years ago. I bought a .44 barrel for my Contender and put a red dot on it. Killed a Doe @100 yds with it. Love red dots on hand guns. In my younger days, alittle practice and a good rest , I could knock down RR steels @ 100 yds with my 29. Still believe it is one of the finest ever made. :cool:

I would think about a ruger super redhawk, they come with rings made especially for them.
If you drill and tap the S&W it would loose most of its value.
Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.