Handgun Cow

Do you use your 500 S&W to hunt too?

I have a 4" 500, and am actually going to be sending it off for a 1/12 twist barrel and workover, hopefully relatively soon. Mine is more woods defense, but wouldn't turn down using it offensively if the right situation arose.

Hoping to get her to like the 500-600gr pills a little more, even my 460gr long flat nose bullets aren't stabilizing well.

But I like the caliber, so I'll have her built to my perfect companion.

Xlnt job ! It has to be rewarding getting an animal with a pistol. I have a few big boomers but never have. Only tried once on a deer. Was a 4 pt. or better season and it was a 3x3 with no eyegaurds...

Great job! Handgun hunting is underrated by many, but when done correctly, is very rewarding.

Congratulations! Not only on this one......but the previous two also!

Hopefully, this will be my year also......if I ever get to go hunting! memtb
Get out there and gitter done ! 😁
I still have an area 58 cow tag I haven't hunted once yet. I keep saying I have until 12/21...
COBrad just inspired me to carry my 460 S&W. Will work for griz also.

93 yards is a great shot especially with a non-magnified optic.
Those .454's are a bit snappy.
Lots of great tasting meat right there.
I handgun hunted bull elk this year with my FA .475 LB, but couldn't get close enough to the bulls. Cows were everywhere.
I did take a 8 point whitetail yesterday @ 62 yds with my custom BFR in .500 JRH.
I run the Trijicon RMR's but my max range is 80 yds for both cartridges. (Old eyes)
Jack Huntington is working on a .414 Super Mag for me based on a Ruger Maximum frame. I'll put a 2x scope on it so I can extend my range to 130 yds (?).
Handgun hunting is addictive and quite a challenge.
Congrats!

I took this Coues deer with a S&W 460 a few years ago. Unfortunately, my wrists and hands aged to much to shoot it anymore so I had to sell it and will try this year with a S&W 686 in .357 Mag or a Ruger in .327 Mag.
Coues 2.jpeg

93 yards is a great shot especially with a non-magnified optic.
Those .454's are a bit snappy.
Lots of great tasting meat right there.
I handgun hunted bull elk this year with my FA .475 LB, but couldn't get close enough to the bulls. Cows were everywhere.
I did take a 8 point whitetail yesterday @ 62 yds with my custom BFR in .500 JRH.
I run the Trijicon RMR's but my max range is 80 yds for both cartridges. (Old eyes)
Jack Huntington is working on a .414 Super Mag for me based on a Ruger Maximum frame. I'll put a 2x scope on it so I can extend my range to 130 yds (?).
Handgun hunting is addictive and quite a challenge.
Congrats!
I've shot a lot of marmots out to 150 yards with my Casull and holographic sight. Furthest was 212 yards. I've got a leupold 4x scope for it but didn't like it too much. May trade for one with better field of view and try again.

I had a friend at Eielson back in the 70's that could clean the turkeys at 385 meters with his S&W Model 29. He was probably the best pistol shot I ever saw when it came to precision.