Handgun Cow

COBrad

21 cow .jpg

Got this cow opening day of 2nd season here in Colorado. I was in a patch of timber where I know they regularly cross. I got into position and hadn't sat but maybe 15 minutes when I heard a cow call. A few minutes later I heard it again, then after a bit I heard cows and calves talking as they got closer. Suddenly cows started crossing below me, but they were too far below and I could see them through the timber but no shots. After a dozen or so crossed this one came in front of the trees and stopped for a look. One shot in the neck and she dropped in her tracks. At that point all the elk started milling and started up the hill directly at me. There were probably a good 50 head that slowly filed by. At one point a big 6x6 stopped 30 yards away and stood looking around before ambling off into the brush with the cows. Gun is a Freedom Arms .454 Casull shooting 300 grain Hornady XTP Mag's. Range was 93 yards. This is my third with this handgun.

Congrats, great shooting. I have one like that but I have it scoped, I have killed a feral hog at that distance but that is all I have had the chance to shoot at with it. I can tell you from personal experience, Magna-Port will do wonders with that handgun if you ever get the itch. I had mine ported along with an action job and it was well worth the cost.

Congrats, great shooting. I have one like that but I have it scoped, I have killed a feral hog at that distance but that is all I have had the chance to shoot at with it. I can tell you from personal experience, Magna-Port will do wonders with that handgun if you ever get the itch. I had mine ported along with an action job and it was well worth the cost.
I've been considering having it ported. Recoil is stout as is.

I've been considering having it ported. Recoil is stout as is.
When I first got mine I was amazed at how bad recoil was - it was worse than my 4" 500 S&W and I am not recoil sensitive at all. The Magna-Port made a world of difference and now I can shoot it all day with no issues.I was leery about making irreversible changes to my barrel but I have no regrets now. You will be pleased with it after getting it ported.

When I first got mine I was amazed at how bad recoil was - it was worse than my 4" 500 S&W and I am not recoil sensitive at all. The Magna-Port made a world of difference and now I can shoot it all day with no issues.I was leery about making irreversible changes to my barrel but I have no regrets now. You will be pleased with it after getting it ported.
That's a good review, thanks. Like you when I first got it I was surprised how much more recoil was than my .44. I've also been hesitant to alter it in case there wasn't a real benefit. I have to practice a bunch to maintain a good trigger squeeze with it. Sure be nice to tame the recoil a bit.