Hand priming tools

Over the years I have had a Lee a RCBS and now a Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool. The Lee was always wearing out parts. Would probably still be using the RCBS but the primer tray broke. Now that I have the Frankford Arsenal one it has more features that are hndy when priming cases. Plus it uses the Lee shell holders for their auto prime tool. If it were me I would buy the Frankford Arsenal model and enjoy.
I have a FrankFord Arsenal Perfect Seat Platinum Hand Seat Primer tool and has served me well for over two years. The only issue that I had was that the female end composite feed which allows the primer tray to seat correctly buckled on the very T.D.C. creating a dimple that would not allow any Large Primers to feed. I explained the problem to Frankford and customer service sent me out a replacement part very quickly. Now that I'm back in service with my hand seater tool I can say that I know of no other tool that will allow you to precisely set your primers seating depth. All others rely on hand pressure to seat your primers,and this can easily result in your primer being seated too deeply. This can not happen with this tool as you have a thumb wheel adjustment which is used to correctly set the primers depth. O.B.T.W. it is very fast and easy to use.

I like the RCBS hand priming tool. I can actually get out of the reloading room,and see other family members. I bought two, so I could set one up for small primers and the other for large primers. Just y personal preference.

21st century is my hand primer, wish there was a primer feeder for it though. I do 90% my priming on the primal rights tool.

I have a FrankFord Arsenal Perfect Seat Platinum Hand Seat Primer tool and has served me well for over two years. The only issue that I had was that the female end composite feed which allows the primer tray to seat correctly buckled on the very T.D.C. creating a dimple that would not allow any Large Primers to feed. I explained the problem to Frankford and customer service sent me out a replacement part very quickly. Now that I'm back in service with my hand seater tool I can say that I know of no other tool that will allow you to precisely set your primers seating depth. All others rely on hand pressure to seat your primers,and this can easily result in your primer being seated too deeply. This can not happen with this tool as you have a thumb wheel adjustment which is used to correctly set the primers depth. O.B.T.W. it is very fast and easy to use.
I like the FA tool I bought and the RCBS continues to do the job as well. I do like the positive stop on seating depth with the FA. Whatever you feel most comfortable with.

There have been reports of explosions with the Auto Prime causing serious injuries to the face. Years ago I switched to the K&M. Great tool!

There have been reports of explosions with the Auto Prime causing serious injuries to the face. Years ago I switched to the K&M. Great tool!
I spoke to Lee about that and they advised me if using Federal primers to NOT fill the tray completely. I load up about 6 - 10 primers and go for it, and so far it works fine for me. I am in no hurry as my loading is all precision ammo, and I don't notice any impact on how long it takes me. I like the "feel" of how it seats. There are also many articles "debunking" the exploding Federal primers, but hey - why take chance.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.