hand loading the 30-378 Why mag

CSButler50

I have a near new Wby Accumark in 30-378. I'm looking for an accurate load for the 200 gn Nos AB or the 212gn Hornady eldx bullets. I'm familiar with basic hand loading concepts but have never been able to make any really good handholds except for my 30-06 which has a really great Pac Nor barrel.

Anyone ever load for this caliber? What components would you start with? How do I find the right COAL? Does this gun need to be bedded?

I have a near new Wby Accumark in 30-378. I'm looking for an accurate load for the 200 gn Nos AB or the 212gn Hornady eldx bullets. I'm familiar with basic hand loading concepts but have never been able to make any really good handholds except for my 30-06 which has a really great Pac Nor barrel.

Anyone ever load for this caliber? What components would you start with? How do I find the right COAL? Does this gun need to be bedded?

Mine only shoots berger 210s with 50 big powder. My brother has the same rifle his shoots barnes trex bullets with reloader 25 at a little less than 1/2 moa. I got my coal from the berger book.

You will want to use really slow powder like 7828 h50 Bmg retumbo
Maybe h 1000 and overall length will probably be determined by magazine length most Weatherby have a long throat so loading as long as possible will probably give best accuracy but you still need to fit in the mag not sure if this helps

50, mine likes Retumbo with the 215 Berger and 215M primer. My friend's 30/378 likes the same except H1000 instead of Retumbo. His chamber is cut larger than mine, his loaded rounds won't chamber in my rifle. Definitely use the Norma/Weatherby brass. You can do it!

Best load in mine is 200 gr Nosler Part with max load of H-870 lit by a Fed 215 in a Wea case.Vel is appx 3200 ft/sec. I also get good accuracy with a max load of RL-33. Vel is about 50 ft/sec lower. Your best bet is , what was said, are the really slow burners. If your's is like mine, then stay away from the CCI-250. Always got my best results with a Fed 215.

Retumbo and sierra gameking 180 gr . Most difficult gun I've reloaded.
I bedded mine, changed triggers out, used honady's comparator and tried many different bullets. Finally a friend suggested sierra game king because its softer and easier. It worked for me. Enjoy.

The Accumark has an aluminum bedding block in the stock which makes it pretty easy to "skim bed". I would highly recommend doing this if you're after top accuracy. And get a lighter trigger spring.

Like others have mentioned just load a bit shorter than magazine length. In my Accumark I'm loading to 3.800". I've only loaded for a 338-378 so I can't comment much on load data. I will say that I found Nosler data to be very conservative. Check out Hodgdon's online data too.

I have never loaded for this cartridge, probably never will. But with a case that overbore I would be looking at a 215gr bullet at the very least and some pretty slow powder.

Edit: Unless you want a laser out to 400. Then shoot some 150-165 mono's out of it and burn that barrel up.

Last edited:
I have owned 2..one shot pretty good with 180 grain bullets and H1000..the other I set the treads back 5/8 of an inch and re cut a chamber-- and made a 300 Norma out of it. It regularly shoots lets than 3/4 of an inch with various loads...best move I have ever made. One of the hardest rounds I have ever reloaded for.

On the other hand I had a friend that had a custom 30-378 that was extremely accurate with 210 Berger and Reloader 25.

Ed

Second on the Sierra Game Kings, they were the least finicky of anything I tried. I got Berger 210 Hunting to about 3/4 MOA with 7828ssc with a lot of playing. The Game Kings seem to shoot well without much work up.

Thanks for all the tips on the Wby mag info. I have some bench time ahead of me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.