Hand loading for AR's vs bolt actions??

HNDLDR

When it comes to seating depths and finding OCW's do you use the same procedures as a bolt gun?
Obviously magazine space limits OAL. I also realize I probably won't get extream long range precision out of this gun.
All that being said what's the best way to go about making it shoot to the best of its potential?
It's a stock Remington R-25 in 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel.
It has shot sub MOA at 100 yards with 140 GR ballistic tips over 42 Grains of Varget. The B-tips were loaded to just fit the magazine.
It doesn't seem to hold those groups long. I think it fouls pretty quickly. Perhaps a thorough barrel break in is in order?

You are doing it right. I do all my at stuff as long as you can in the mag and if it doesn't shoot seat back a little at a time. Funny your goes away quick. My brother has one that does the same shoots really good when cold they goes crazy. We have tried everything with no luck. It just shoots good cold and like crap after, only ar between us that does it and its also a Remington. So 1 out of roughly 40 ain't to bad.

When it comes to seating depths and finding OCW's do you use the same procedures as a bolt gun?
Obviously magazine space limits OAL. I also realize I probably won't get extream long range precision out of this gun.
All that being said what's the best way to go about making it shoot to the best of its potential?
It's a stock Remington R-25 in 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel.
It has shot sub MOA at 100 yards with 140 GR ballistic tips over 42 Grains of Varget. The B-tips were loaded to just fit the magazine.
It doesn't seem to hold those groups long. I think it fouls pretty quickly. Perhaps a thorough barrel break in is in order?
HNDLDR,
First, install a free floating hand guard ! If you are sticking with feeding the rifle through the magazine then its a matter of finding the bullet it likes and the velocity it likes. You can try our 168 grain 7mm CLASSIC HUNTER bullet as a target/hunting bullet also. It is a HYBRID design that has both the the SECANT ogive of a VLD and the TANGENT ogive of standard bullets that makes it very tolerant of jump and easy to load tune for. Also it has a SAMMI length nose dimension that allows it to be seated to magazine length.

Snox

I'm not sure if mine is a heat issue or a fowling issue but that's definately something to check. I need to quit messing around and spend some time with the rifle a get a better idea when the accuracy actually checks out.

Barefooter

I use your VLD's in my 25-06 and soon my wife's bolt action 7mm-08 is getting introduced to the 140 GR VLD's. I wanted to stick with the 140 GR in the AR but maybe I need to reevaluate the 168.

Snox

I'm not sure if mine is a heat issue or a fowling issue but that's definately something to check. I need to quit messing around and spend some time with the rifle a get a better idea when the accuracy actually checks out.

Barefooter

I use your VLD's in my 25-06 and soon my wife's bolt action 7mm-08 is getting introduced to the 140 GR VLD's. I wanted to stick with the 140 GR in the AR but maybe I need to reevaluate the 168.
HNDLDR,
Give the 168 a shot ! You don't know what you will find unless you test.
(apologies for the bad pun)

I'm sure the 168's are awesome. I just need to get over the whole velocity issue especially out of that little 20" barrel.
Now is the part where you tell me I'll never know the distance.

I'm sure the 168's are awesome. I just need to get over the whole velocity issue especially out of that little 20" barrel.
HNDLDR,
Distance of? Just remember. Accuracy is king over velocity. You feed the critter what IT likes. Not what you like.

It's kind of my "anything and everything gun" it will get used on prairie dogs, coyotes, ringing steel at the local range, general camp gun, and used as a spare rifle for deer and elk hunts.
For just having fun it will probably be shot out 500 or 600 yards. For things like elk it will probably never be used much past 300.

I'm sorry that was supposed to read "difference" not "distance".

You are doing it right. I do all my at stuff as long as you can in the mag and if it doesn't shoot seat back a little at a time. Funny your goes away quick. My brother has one that does the same shoots really good when cold they goes crazy. We have tried everything with no luck. It just shoots good cold and like crap after, only ar between us that does it and its also a Remington. So 1 out of roughly 40 ain't to bad.

Almost sounds like there might be an imperfection in the barrel that's causing it to foul faster than normal? Does it do it when the barrel is Hot or when the barrel is Dirty?

I haven't tried them yet, but I have the Tubb's barrel fire lapping system in both .30 caliber and .223. Actually I think it's called Tubb's Final Finish System.

I'm sure I will be loading them within a couple weeks to try.

I used the tubbs system one an AR 15 once. It smoothed the barrel out and made it much easier and quicker to clean. Unfortunately it went from shooting 1/2" groups with favored loads to shooting everything around an inch.

I used the tubbs system one an AR 15 once. It smoothed the barrel out and made it much easier and quicker to clean. Unfortunately it went from shooting 1/2" groups with favored loads to shooting everything around an inch.

How serious are you being right now?

I've read quite a lot about the Tubb's system. I'd say over 80% of people claim increase in accuracy and a few people say no improvement. But I've never heard anyone say they LOST accuracy because of it...

So obviously, you don't think it's good to do then?

I tried it one time on one rifle. I wouldn't take that one example as being the final word at all. Maybe I needed to tune my loads again after that or something.
I have a very inexpensive 243 barrel for a Rossi Trifecta that shoots 3 to 4 inch patterns at 100 yards. I've been thinking I would give the Tubbs system another try in it. Definately let me know how it works for you.

How serious are you being right now?

I've read quite a lot about the Tubb's system. I'd say over 80% of people claim increase in accuracy and a few people say no improvement. But I've never heard anyone say they LOST accuracy because of it...

So obviously, you don't think it's good to do then?
engineer40,
This may cause some controversy but use the Final finish on a barrel that has a lot of rounds down it to try to get it shooting again. Don't recommend this for new barrels. Doing a proper break in procedure SHOULD be enough (ask your barrel maker what they recommend). A barrel really is not completely seasoned until it has a few hundred rounds down it. How does your accuracy "go away" after a few rounds are down the barrel ?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.