Hand Lap Your Own Barrel?

"Lead Laps" are poured in succession, 180g, 240g., 280-320g. After a barrel is chambered, it's a little late to lap. The throat will get longer, and if you are lapping in the 'traditional way', the lap doesn't leave the muzzle end so there's some bore that doesn't get 'smoothed'. The 'fire lapping' method is probably the best way after a barrel is chambered and crowned. But, go ahaead and try it for yourself, you won't be the first!
I forgot to mention that the barrels I do have not been trimmed or chambered…good catch.
And, yes, I just realised what I said about adding the compound after the lap is poured, my bad. My Brownell's kit has grit you can add to the lead.

Cheers.

Lapping should be done before chambering and crown. You can "bell" the muzzle and screw up the lead in the throat.
Fire lapping has its fans and opponents.
I think I'd try it as a last resort before rebarrel.

I forgot to mention that the barrels I do have not been trimmed or chambered…good catch.
And, yes, I just realised what I said about adding the compound after the lap is poured, my bad. My Brownell's kit has grit you can add to the lead.

Cheers.
Many of the industrial suppliers have 'canned' abrasives that will be at a lower cost than Brownells. Those that hand lap have their own blend of lead. Hand lapping with a lead slug is work!

as a last resort in an effort to remove carbon and copper build up on top of one of the lands in my 6 BR. I used 0000 steel wool over a patch with solvent. It worked and did no damage to the accuracy. Considering that the lands are only .003" to .004" tall
any wild notion about making things better might best be thought about more.

How effective would some Flitz be on a new factory made rifle? Maybe a 5-6 passes on a patch wrapped around a caliber sized brush?
I am a freak so factor it in on what I do. I fully clean including copper to start. Dry bore and fire one round with as heavy a bullet I have for the caliber, fully clean again. I then wrap large patch around worn nylon brush and 2-3 fresh paste cleanings with JB Non Imbedding cleaner, fully clean, 3-4 polishing's with fresh JB Bore Bright. I dont count the passes and pretty much work the wiz out of each process. Yes, this takes a lot of time. Before I only shot a round and cleaned and used to just continue this until copper fouling was gone or as low as i could get it. The JB process being added has reduces my break in shots by half easily.

How effective would some Flitz be on a new factory made rifle? Maybe a 5-6 passes on a patch wrapped around a caliber sized brush?
So first, why do you want to lap your own barrel? What barrel is it and have you ever lapped a barrel before?

So first, why do you want to lap your own barrel? What barrel is it and have you ever lapped a barrel before?
Again I don't know many who do lap their barrels and it is a big internet debate. Question I ask is why wouldn't you? I only have three custom barrels and a fourth on the way and they are all "hand lapped" at the factory. I have used three different gunsmiths and every one says to "lapp" it with a few shots. They all say the same thing it will have some edges/tiny burrs from reaming so you might as well start without them. Most of them clean up in 10 shots.

Again I don't know many who do lap their barrels and it is a big internet debate. Question I ask is why wouldn't you? I only have three custom barrels and a fourth on the way and they are all "hand lapped" at the factory. I have used three different gunsmiths and every one says to "lapp" it with a few shots. They all say the same thing it will have some edges/tiny burrs from reaming so you might as well start without them. Most of them clean up in 10 shots.
I ask cause he has not identified why it needs to be lapped. Accuracy issue? Some other issue?
  • Does he have a gauge to ensure that it is lapped to the correct diameter and specs
  • Does he have experience lapping - it does not seem so and I know of no manufacturer or maker of barrels that would recommend someone do it at home
  • Is he prepared to "F" it up and get a new barrel
  • Does he even know what the proper specs are
This is not a question about whether a manufacturer laps. I am not debating that manufacturers do it, they do. It is a discussion on why does he wanna do it on a factory barrel himself and does he have the skill, materials, and tools to do it correctly. I agree that with a high quality custom barrel, usually after barrel break in, they are smooth as a babies behind so I agree, they should clean up. But this is a factory barrel

Tubb FinalFinish fire laps to reduce copper fouling in a bore that's too rough (factory).
I like it because it's easy, it doesn't bell out the bore near muzzle. Works great for break-in even with the best of barrels.

J-B Bore Cleaning Compound works great to abrasively remove tough carbon without hurting a good lap.
J-B Bore Bright should be removed from the market, and/or your reloading bench.

Gosh! Talking about me like I'm not in the room! 😄

I ask cause he has not identified why it needs to be lapped. Accuracy issue? Some other issue?
I just thought, because.
  • Does he have a gauge to ensure that it is lapped to the correct diameter and specs
Nope
  • Does he have experience lapping - it does not seem so and I know of no manufacturer or maker of barrels that would recommend someone do it at home
Nope
  • Is he prepared to "F" it up and get a new barrel
I like to F around and find out about most things, but not this stuff! :cool:
  • Does he even know what the proper specs are
What specs? 😄
This is not a question about whether a manufacturer laps. I am not debating that manufacturers do it, they do. It is a discussion on why does he wanna do it on a factory barrel himself and does he have the skill, materials, and tools to do it correctly.
I didn't know what lapping a barrel involved. I just thought you could use a cleaning rod, patch, and flitz. Tools? Didn't know I needed any!
I agree that with a high quality custom barrel, usually after barrel break in, they are smooth as a babies behind so I agree, they should clean up. But this is a factory barrel
But now I discover you don't want the barrel smooth because it adds friction...jeesh! LOL

I've learned about the Tubb's fire lapping method. It's a good day! I've learned!