Hand guns on bears

I carry a Glock G20SF 15+1 with a KKM-supported barrel most of the time I am in the woods where bears might be around, any bear. I use the 10mm with 140gr Underwood extreme penetrator. I wouldn't call it a bear gun, but... it's better than a pointy stick for sure. I'm sure bigger is better, but... this allows me to get into action fast, yet, not overly big and heavy. The pistol is extremely accurate and double reliable, the other two qualities I like in a "do or die" weapon. I've also found fiber tritium sights are a must for the woods and forest. Cheers

G20 Gen 3  10 mm 014 - Copy.JPG

G20 Gen 3  10 mm 018 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Lets keep the correct comparison, for the op referenced "black bears", mostly. However, I do admit standard soft lead 12ga deer slugs are not overly recommended on large, dangerous game, for they are too soft and do not penetrate well. There are varied slugs that are much more suited for deep penetration with less deformity, and if buck shot is to be used on the large bears, I recommend copper plated, hard 000 buck and not 00.

I know of far too many blackies that have been cleanly killed by 45's.
Things change and tech changes, this was thirty years ago. Thats what was carried by fishing guides then. He also had a 44 mag red hawk and the guy in the sleeping bag that was being taken for sushi had one in the bag with him. Scared S$@#less makes it very different from target practice. Anyone who can stand there ground when being charged by a bear who thinks you're on the menu is a rare example.

If you are better with a semi auto vs a wheel gun, go that route. It makes zero sense to carry one you are not proficient with.

I carried a .40 my first time in bear (grizzly) country and had to use it. I bought an XDM 10mm for recurring trips. The Sig 220 was what I wanted but I wasn't able to find anything but the Legion version when I was looking, so I went with the XDM. For carry purposes, I prefer that style over a 1911. If you are proficient with a 1911 style you will have even more options in .45 or 10mm.

As stated earlier, anything can possibly kill one, but I'd opt for the most power I can carry and use well. If you already have a 45 that you're comfortable with, I'd look for the hottest/heavy round I could find. If you're shopping, I'd look for a 10mm.
My Glock 20 shoots half the size group my Springfield XDM 10mm does . With less recoil. My Glock 21 45 auto is tricked out and accurate. I'd shoot it before XDM. I have wheelguns. S&W 460. Ruger super redhawk 454 Cassull, 44 Super Blackhawk. First two are heavy and limited shots. I'll take my Glock 20 10mm with a 15 or 20 Rd. mag any day. This topic comes up about 5 times a year 🙄 I'm talking about grizzlies not black bears .... Bang bang .

Last edited:
There are differences. One being the toughness of structure/anatomy. Two being the mindset. Three, starting with 4 good legs versus 2.

Bears continue to fight and kill proficiently with one leg broken. Humans don't do as well on a single leg.
Bear can be tougher to penetrate and disable.
Bear have no understanding of death, and therefore don't fear it. Which means they can respond like robots during attacks. Some may be deterred by underpowered firearms. Some will continue the attack facing artillery, until dead, dead, DEAD.

The key is surviving the fight long enough that a determined bear dies before being able to maim and kill. The faster the bullet disables the bear, the better the odds of survival.
đź‘Ť Well said brother.

When I learned I would be fishing in Alaska about 20 years ago, I did my research and bought a Freedom Arms 83 in 475 Linebaugh. After shooting the dang thing quite a bit, I decided that if I needed to fire on an aggressive bear, I would likely crank off the 1st shot into the ether, then be in full recoil posture, barrel pointing skyward, when the bear leveled me.

I now do a lot of fishing alone in SW Montana. Instead of the 475, I now carry a Glock 20 in a Kenai chest holster and a mag full of Buffalo Bore 190 gr Mono-Metal loads. As I understand the thinking on the 10mm, a hit to the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord) is needed to incapacitate a bear intent on ruining your day. So a bullet that tracks straight and penetrates deep is the key. And in order to hit the CNS, multiple shots quickly fired increase the odds of succeeding. A 10mm in the G20 seems the best compromise of power, penetration, and controllability.

I am also much more likely to practice with my 10mm than with the 475. 5 shots with the 83 and I'm done for at least a week. Wrecks my nervous system and my budget!

This post is a bit off topic. To bring it around, If I were hunting black bears I would definitely take the 475.

When I learned I would be fishing in Alaska about 20 years ago, I did my research and bought a Freedom Arms 83 in 475 Linebaugh. After shooting the dang thing quite a bit, I decided that if I needed to fire on an aggressive bear, I would likely crank off the 1st shot into the ether, then be in full recoil posture, barrel pointing skyward, when the bear leveled me.

I now do a lot of fishing alone in SW Montana. Instead of the 475, I now carry a Glock 20 in a Kenai chest holster and a mag full of Buffalo Bore 190 gr Mono-Metal loads. As I understand the thinking on the 10mm, a hit to the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord) is needed to incapacitate a bear intent on ruining your day. So a bullet that tracks straight and penetrates deep is the key. And in order to hit the CNS, multiple shots quickly fired increase the odds of succeeding. A 10mm in the G20 seems the best compromise of power, penetration, and controllability.

I am also much more likely to practice with my 10mm than with the 475. 5 shots with the 83 and I'm done for at least a week. Wrecks my nervous system and my budget!

This post is a bit off topic. To bring it around, If I were hunting black bears I would definitely take the 475.
Amen to that Brother. Ditto.

My Glock 20 shoots half the size group my Springfield XDM 10mm does . With less recoil. My Glock 21 45 auto is tricked out and accurate. I'd shoot it before XDM. I have wheelguns. S&W 460. Ruger super redhawk 454 Cassule. 44 Super Blackhawk. Heavy and limited shots. I'll take my Glock 20 10mm with a 15 or 20 Rd. Mag any day. This topic comes up about 5 times a year 🙄 I'm talking about grizzlies not black bears .... Bang bang .
I like Glocks but they don't fit my hands very well. Sig is my preferred in a full size but I wasn't able to find a 220 in 10mm when I started looking unless in was the Legion version.

I had a Glock 21 in .45 but it just did not fit me, so I sold it.

I like wheel guns and 1911's a lot, but they have only ever been plinking or range guns for me. Semi autos have been my carry weapons, so I stick with what I am used to that don't take me thinking about what needs to happen for me to engage with it.

I was talking about grizzlies too, and it does come up quite a bit. But I would rather answer from my view and experience than based off of what could/might/should work.

Here is a picture of the one we had to DLP in Wyoming. A .40 worked but I'd have much rather have had a 10mm or better.

Attachments

• 3C5240A2-6042-4AF0-93E9-0D1391D0626F.jpeg
    3C5240A2-6042-4AF0-93E9-0D1391D0626F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
I generally suggest a short barreled, full stocked Remington 870 loaded with slugs to friends asking your question. Slung across one's back while fly fishing for salmon it is a far superior defensive choice over any sidearm. Maybe not as "cool" but this is your life were talking about potentially. So ego should be replaced by cold, hard logic in this discussion.

I generally suggest a short barreled, full stocked Remington 870 loaded with slugs to friends asking your question. Slung across one's back while fly fishing for salmon it is a far superior defensive choice over any sidearm. Maybe not as "cool" but this is your life were talking about potentially. So ego should be replaced by cold, hard logic in this discussion.
When hunting a rifle and pistol for me. Sometimes I'll carry bear spray also. Depends where I am. With a backpack I can't carry a rifle and shotgun. I would rather have a shotgun than pistol though.

Last edited:
I like Glocks but they don't fit my hands very well. Sig is my preferred in a full size but I wasn't able to find a 220 in 10mm when I started looking unless in was the Legion version.

I had a Glock 21 in .45 but it just did not fit me, so I sold it.

I like wheel guns and 1911's a lot, but they have only ever been plinking or range guns for me. Semi autos have been my carry weapons, so I stick with what I am used to that don't take me thinking about what needs to happen for me to engage with it.

I was talking about grizzlies too, and it does come up quite a bit. But I would rather answer from my view and experience than based off of what could/might/should work.

Here is a picture of the one we had to DLP in Wyoming. A .40 worked but I'd have much rather have had a 10mm or better.
You shot that grizzley in Wyoming ?

I also use a Gunfighter Kenai holster đź‘Ť

Exact gun my brother had. Full of slugs and buck shot.

FWIW I've taken 3 elk and a B&C black bear with big caliber revolvers, hunting not defending. The .44 mag shooting 325 grain hardcast went end to end on the bear, penetrating about 6' of bear. Very effective. The elk were with a .454 Casull shooting 300 grain magnum XTP's at ~1600 fps. Also very effective but not as much penetration as the hardcast. Neither light weight guns, but both carry comfortably and draw pretty quick from chest holsters. That's my preference. My cousin has lived in AK for close to 40 years now. Avid outdoorsman. Carries a .500 S&W, ported, 4" barrel. Says it's far more comfortable to shoot that my unported .454.