Hand guns on bears

CBrewer

Has anyone had much experience with hopped up 45acp loaded with hard cast bullets for bears, black bear mostly. I have a 44mag ruger super Blackhawk but my 45acp m and p is easier to carry especially on longer hunts

All the important folks running around south central carry a hodge podge of 460 rowland, 10mm and some hotter revolver cartridges. Must work on some level, had a small grizzly kill a guy a few days back but that's different than a black bear. My wife bikes in an area thick with black bears and carries a 10mm, we debated 45 vs 10mm and settled on the 10. Either will probably work well enough, black bear is kinda like self defense from a world's strongest man competitor...

By nature of the cartridges performance envelope even when maximized .45 ACP is a poor choice for medium game and larger. The bullet's large frontal area combined with a low SD (Sectional Density) and modest velocity equates to limited penetration. For knocking off we hairless chimps at social distances it's a death ray. Alas, humans are not bears.

Black bears aren't overly hard to kill, and for a long time, I have carried a modified Kimber 1911 in 45 Super pushing 230 hard cast RNFP at nearly 1,200fps and 255 RNFP cast at near 1,100fps. It simply works, drives deep and destroys lots of tissue.

1653595868295.png

1653595907135.png

Last edited:
My opinion is based solely upon preparation and not having to actually protect myself from a bear attack. My collection is pretty expansive and always growing. I have the SW 460 that I would carry to hunt, loaded with Hornady 300 gr XTP Mag.

However, as a side arm, I've practiced drawing, getting on target and delivering multiple rounds on target. I run a short distance, get my heart rate excelerated and then I move to various positions while firing.

I have many 10mm semi autos, 10mm revolvers, 45 ACP, different barrel length 44 mags and hands down, without exception, the semi auto score highest in rounds on target.

I'm now experimenting with 200 gr loads in a Kimber, Sig P220, EAA Witness, Delta Elite to see which handles best under me being stressed.

Again, if I were hunting bears as targeted prey, on ground or in a stand, my SW 460 is my preference.

I keep toying with running something like these in my built up Custom 1911.

There are quite a few threads on bear protection handguns revolver vs auto, the 10mm is amazing, etc. It's all a compromise of some sort.

If you happen to find a copy of the Speer reloading manual #10 if I remember correctly there's a load for a 300 grain jhp. I use to load those back in the early 80's before the 10mm came out!

Just for a little perspective:

I heard about this incident, and then I read the article. I am not disagreeing with what the author of the article wrote, "that a 9mm can kill a grizzly", however I do believe there are better choices in cartridges. I read an article in a magazine, American Frontiersman" where a woman who was out trapping killed a grizzly bear with a .22 short. Even the author of this article stated that he usually carries a .44 magnum if there's a potential of running into an aggressive grizzly. I believe this article is "very" misleading, and oftentimes is used to rationalize carrying a smaller cartridge to be used as handgun cartridge to defend oneself if there are not any other handguns or weapons at hand and available. I am not an expert, have never had any incidents with any attacks, and hope not to ever have an first experience with a bear attack. I do however carry a Glock 20, 10mm with 200 grain Lehigh, hard cast bullets. On my first ever bear hunt, I shot a small black bear (150lbs) just about the end of legal shooting and nearly dark. I only hunt ground blinds due to limited mobility, so....ground blinds it is!!! I texted the guide, he told me to sit tight and he would be in with some help to carry the bear out once he'd gotten all of the other hunters out of the woods and back to camp. So....I'm sitting there (like for two hours that seemed like ten), in the dark with only one of those "clip on" the brim of your hat lights. Remember my first time out ever black bear hunting, so the clip on light is "what" I had; it's a 600 lumen Streamlight headlamp today. Today I don't even use that light it is in the equipment tote. Might use it to get me to and from the outhouse, maybe!!! Anyways I am sitting in the very dark woods, with a Remington 30-06, cannot see very far and the thought came to me that "if" I needed to protect myself with in a close up and intimate confrontation with a wounded bear that long rifle just might not be the answer. Presently I carry the G20, in a Craft, cross-draw holster that is accessible with either had if necessary. I have read cases where a .45ACP has killed a grizzly, however I believe the .460 Rowland, the 10mm (16 round capacity isn't nothing to overlook either), or larger cartridges might be better. Plus 10mm ammunition is quite easy to find and even purchase online. After reading some of the replies here, I also consider the weight of the handgun as an important factor as well as being proficient with that particular handgun. Yup the super heavy handgun cartridges are great, however carrying one is a different story and being proficient cartridge is still another issue in itself. For me the recipe is to have a handgun capable of getting the job done, and one that I am going comfortably going to carry and not leave in a backpack because it weighs too much.

Last edited:
Since you have a .45 ACP, google 460 Rowland. I have two 45's converted to 460 Rowland. I chrono'd Rowland's factory 255 gr hard cast bullets out of my Baer 45 / 460 Rowland conversion at 1275 fps. The 185 gr "carry load" went almost 1600 fps.

My backcountry carry pistol is a XDM 5.25 with a 13 round mag converted to .460 Rowland. That pistol has 44 mag ballistics in a 14 round lightweight platform.

If you are better with a semi auto vs a wheel gun, go that route. It makes zero sense to carry one you are not proficient with.

I carried a .40 my first time in bear (grizzly) country and had to use it. I bought an XDM 10mm for recurring trips. The Sig 220 was what I wanted but I wasn't able to find anything but the Legion version when I was looking, so I went with the XDM. For carry purposes, I prefer that style over a 1911. If you are proficient with a 1911 style you will have even more options in .45 or 10mm.

As stated earlier, anything can possibly kill one, but I'd opt for the most power I can carry and use well. If you already have a 45 that you're comfortable with, I'd look for the hottest/heavy round I could find. If you're shopping, I'd look for a 10mm.