Hand guns on bears

You shot that grizzley in Wyoming ?
Yes in 2018, DLP kill. We called the camp, they called state fish and game, he called fed fish and game. Full investigation since they are "endangered" in the lower 48. They collected what was left of the bones some time later, didn't even want us to cape it and take the head in for them. It was in the paper in Cody before we packed back in.

I agree, a sidearm is highly capable of dropping big animals in their tracks. This cow fell to a S&W 629 stoked with Elmer Keith's pet .44 Magnum load at 110 yards. However, deliberately stalking a target animal is a whole different set of parameters and emotions than being ambushed by a large angry preditor. OBTW WRT 12ga, I WOULD NOT recommend stoking it with any size of buckshot. Slugs. Only.

Attachments

• 20200902_070946.jpg
    20200902_070946.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
Yes in 2018, DLP kill. We called the camp, they called state fish and game, he called fed fish and game. Full investigation since they are "endangered" in the lower 48. They collected what was left of the bones some time later, didn't even want us to cape it and take the head in for them. It was in the paper in Cody before we packed back in.
I remember that here.

I agree, a sidearm is highly capable of dropping big animals in their tracks. This cow fell to a S&W 629 stoked with Elmer Keith's pet .44 Magnum load at 110 yards. However, deliberately stalking a target animal is a whole different set of parameters and emotions than being ambushed by a large angry preditor. OBTW WRT 12ga, I WOULD NOT recommend stoking it with any size of buckshot. Slugs. Only.
Very nice ! On the shot gun I'd alternate slug and 00 buck.

Has anyone had much experience with hopped up 45acp loaded with hard cast bullets for bears, black bear mostly. I have a 44mag ruger super Blackhawk but my 45acp m and p is easier to carry especially on longer hunts
Thankyou all for the advice I like seeing all the different perspectives!

There is a huge difference between STOPPING a bear and killing a bear. There is also a big difference between a black, grizzly and even the coastal bears. If you are on the menu the bear needs to be stopped. With a handgun, even a really big handgun that means a CNS hit. That happens with crushing deep straight penetration, so hard cast or solid flat point bullet. Also, in a charge it needs to deploy extremely fast and it needs to be accurate under stress. And more rounds down range accurately is better. I carry my P365 chest holster loaded with 13 solids in black bear country. It would be better if it was bigger but it carries easy, is my daily carry and I shoot it well. 13rds available now and with with a gun I am extremely familiar is better than no gun or a slow unfamiliar gun. I have a beautiful 44 Mag but I can put 2 or 3 rounds controllable at close range to 1 with the 44 and it comes out 3 times a fast.

If I have the time and I am carrying bigger I would just move to my 45/70 Marlin. That would be my preferred choice if I really had to stop a bear but it isn't going to be there all the time and right now in any situation.

A 10mm in a chest holster would be even better if you are comfortable with shooting it and carrying it all the time. A revolver would better if the bear makes it on top of you and it's that last defense.

20210908_075949.jpg

Other threads (these will bring my posts but there are others that are good in there, I just searched it that way)

My cousin has lived in AK for close to 40 years now. Avid outdoorsman. Carries a .500 S&W, ported, 4" barrel. Says it's far more comfortable to shoot that my unported .454.
I've lived in Alaska for 44 years. Hunted here 45years. That's the exact revolver I just purchased. Supposed to arrive here tomorrow. I'm told it will kill stumps as well as bear.

For a pistol or revolver, it's king of the hill for bear protection. I've carried the 2 1/2" barreled Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull for about 12 years now. It was time to step it up in horsepower, to a bigger, badder, revolver. The ported S&W will help tame recoil. You'll go deaf after the first shot or two without hearing protection. But deaf is better than dead.

This thread is titled "Hand guns on bears". I've posted in other bear threads on this Forum. If we wanna open up the options to include long guns for stopping in-your-face bear? Not hunting bear, but stopping a hell-bent determined charge from 35yds and closer. Nothing will compete with a 12ga Rem 870 18.5 - 20" barrel, with 18g/cc tungsten buckshot for head shots, and Brenneke or equivalent slugs for body shots. My opinion... But you'll have to load your own tungsten buckshot. I don't think anyone sells it loaded in 12ga shotshells.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with bear encounters or expect to, but I just happened to get an email from Sig announcing a new offering in 10mm that I thought would be a great for just this purpose- https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-xten.html I do have a 320 in 9mm and love it, so I would expect this to be comparable. Just sharing this for those that might not be aware of it

I don't have any experience with bear encounters or expect to, but I just happened to get an email from Sig announcing a new offering in 10mm that I thought would be a great for just this purpose- https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-xten.html I do have a 320 in 9mm and love it, so I would expect this to be comparable. Just sharing this for those that might not be aware of it
I love my old Sig 226 and 365 but I have a Glock and Springfield XDM 10mm already dangit ! I like my little 9mm Hellcat also. I've sold or gave away 4 other 9mm's that I've won on Arizona Elk Society raffles. One just popped on few min. ago.
Tuesdays and Fridays. I've won 9 pistols and 5 rifles and a lot of other nice things. No BS. I kept the Kimber Ultra Carry and Pro Carry 45's, Springfield Hellcat, Glock 48 I won. Just sold Springfield XDS 9mm I won to a friend . All on $10.00 tickets 😉 I think I've seen a Sig 320 9mm on there.

My honest opinion is whatever you can accurately shoot. You can carry the 500 S&W but if you can't skin it and hit what you are aiming at. Carry the 40 short and wimpy or the 10mm. Honestly if you have to use it, 90% are going to spray and pray. Should always practice and train like your life depend on it. Just my 2cents

My honest opinion is whatever you can accurately shoot. You can carry the 500 S&W but if you can't skin it and hit what you are aiming at. Carry the 40 short and wimpy or the 10mm. Honestly if you have to use it, 90% are going to spray and pray. Should always practice and train like your life depend on it. Just my 2cents
Sorry OP. I had to do it.
Skin that smoke wagon ...

My earlier photos showed one of the 230gr hard cast loads in the 45 Super loaded at 1,200fps in my modified Kimber 1911, and here is one of my 250gr hard cast loads loaded at 1,070fps. This bear/cat load drives even deeper than the 230's.

1653885622648.jpeg

1653887329033.jpeg

Last edited: