Hammock vs tent camping

I had the same fear, knee and or back pain from the pressure placed on my feet and neck. However, I have been watching videos on hammock camping and it seems like to be comfortable in a hammock you need to lay diagonally instead of in line with the ropes. I'm going to give this a try and spend a night or two hanging under the kids swing set in my backyard before I make the commitment to go on a backpacking trip with just a hammock.
You have got it!
Try it before you are committed on a booked trip!

I have heard that cold exposure can be a serious issue when using a hammock. It sounds like you have a plan for this, but I would explore searching some backpacking forums to make sure you have your bases covered. I have also bought a hammock but haven't had a chance to field it yet. I think they could be much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, especially when packing in a minimal fashion.

Hammock can be good, but you definitely need an under-quilt at elevation or colder seasons. Dropping the hammock closer to the ground, adding a rainfly, and using an under-quilt makes it doable, but not always comfortable.
For the hammock method, thermal blanket (although usually noisy) can retain heat, and Hot Hands style thermal packs can add needed warmth....last all night.

However, for ~2lbs more, one can use the military Improved Combat Shelter (ICS) with fly, poles, et el. Fully contained enclosure with waterproof floor (dry in torrential rain as long as drainage to prevent pooling greater than floor turnup depth), ventilation netting, rain fly, condition adaptable, fast set up, plenty of inside room for all your gear, military robust, packable bag, height for vertical kneeling/dressing/gear repair/preparation, no bailing out onto wet/snowy ground to get gear/dress, $75-150 excellent used condition,..... Take a look on YouTube for details, setup. A warm good nights sleep makes for an enjoyable hunt. Just a really, really old guy's preference........don't do uncomfortable anymore.

For slightly more......maybe +/- 45,000lbs........ at base in a 45' diesel pusher tag axle, towed Rubicon for ex-base roamer. AH, those heated floors on my old tired tootsies. Any more, I don't (primitive) camp; I luxuriate . YMMV......

Last edited:
So i used a hammock once on back pack in hunt. I did it all wrong to start. I bought hammock and didnt bother unrolling it or testing it. We got to where we were camping for the hunt I got my hammock out and unrolled it to hang well it was about 24in wide. I figured this is narrow so I only put it off the ground about a foot. We were in a grizzly bear release area so I had my rifle right under me on the ground. It was so COLD i had thermals on and in my mummy bag all pulled up tight with just a hole for my mouth and nose. About 1am I heard a bear close to camp. I couldnt get the d--- mummy bag untied and unzipped well I went A-- over tea kettle on top of my rifle still in the mummy bag. I am not sure if the bear scared me or I scared him worse we could hear him running all the way down the side of mountain. So opening morning at day light I was shooting my rifle to confirm zero before I even got to hunt. Froze my a-- off for a week in that hammock. Never tried again I just carry a one man tent and therma-rest now.

Good luck with the hammocks...

Typically 1.5 - 2 lbs give or take for the hammock and suspension. probably add around a pound for a rain fly or cover of some sort.
Thanks! I'll stick with my UL 2 person then. All in, I'm at 3.5 lbs max. Full system of tent, 15 deg bag, insulated pad is 6.5 lbs. I just put clothes on if cold. Flat ish ground is really the only issue.

Thanks! I'll stick with my UL 2 person then. All in, I'm at 3.5 lbs max. Full system of tent, 15 deg bag, insulated pad is 6.5 lbs. I just put clothes on if cold. Flat ish ground is really the only issue.

I think that in adverse conditions, your small tent is what the hammock system would migrate to, but would it also be able to stand up to the wind and snow conditions that many UL tents are designed for? All I know is that I've bow hunted in Fall deluges with lightening cracking all around me at 10k ft and I was VERY thankful that I had a very light and stormproof Eureka to hunker down in. I'm all about being a spartan minimalist but there are limits in the rockies!

You also mention saving weight. With a tipi there is only one center pole and some are even carbon. With the hammock, you put a tarp over the top as you mentioned. Those are not light so it may be a toss up on weight between the two.

I camp in all sorts of weather and have for years using tents, tarps, back of trucks, trailers and hammocks. My best night sleep is in a Hennessy Asymmetrical hammock with an insulated pad, under quilt and overquilt it is great down to around 30 degrees. Below that I go with the same system with a sleeping bag and have stayed comfortable to -11 degrees Fahrenheit. It it's rainy or windy a good fly is a necessity. Hennessy has a nice winter kit or I also have a "superfly" however I don't recall who makes it. Keeping my head slightly below my feet, sleeping diagonally is the best way I have found to be completely comfortable. I can sleep on my back, side or stomach this way and a pillow is not always needed. I think with hammock sleeping you need to practice in several conditions to be prepared. The Hennessy is a little costly but well worth the money. I was cheap and tried a few other options first but wish I had just gotten the Hennessy first. There are other good options out there and we all have opinions but I really feel you can't go wrong with them. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.