Hammers in 308

No games, you engaged me to tell me I was wrong but not why I was wrong. I'm trying my best to understand your process. I do owe the OP @KSB209 an apology, this thread has been inadvertently hijacked. I have read most of the hammer literature on this forum and elsewhere and it's been helpful for finding anecdotes (which are very helpful if you're using those component combos) but I was hoping you would give me your process and the reason why it works because knowing the principles is more generally applicable.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for! The 'load em, shoot em, repeat if necessary but it will probably work the first time' technique that most everyone starts with because its easy and can give very reasonable results. It could have been that simple, you should have chimed in sooner. I absolutely agree that this method works great for many bullets for hunting big game within about 400 yards or so, especially with jump insensitive bullets like hammers and many non-VLD bullets (most older bullet designs), and 400 yards encompasses at least 90+% of shot opportunities. I go a different route for my long range loads but for most realistic hunting loads it's absolutely viable and you'll likely save about 5 to 10 bullets.

Thanks folks, especially @BFD Guns, that's all I wanted to know. Good luck OP (you wont need it, they are relatively easy to load), hammers are fantastic hunting bullets.
BFD said the exact same thing that I said as "We" are on the same page, You Sir are talking out of both sides of you mouth and none of it is helping your cause

No games, you engaged me to tell me I was wrong but not why I was wrong. I'm trying my best to understand your process. I do owe the OP @KSB209 an apology, this thread has been inadvertently hijacked. I have read most of the hammer literature on this forum and elsewhere and it's been helpful for finding anecdotes (which are very helpful if you're using those component combos) but I was hoping you would give me your process and the reason why it works because knowing the principles is more generally applicable.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for! The 'load em, shoot em, repeat if necessary but it will probably work the first time' technique that most everyone starts with because its easy and can give very reasonable results. It could have been that simple, you should have chimed in sooner. I absolutely agree that this method works great for many bullets for hunting big game within about 400 yards or so, especially with jump insensitive bullets like hammers and many non-VLD bullets (most older bullet designs), and 400 yards encompasses at least 90+% of shot opportunities. I go a different route for my long range loads but for most realistic hunting loads it's absolutely viable and you'll likely save about 5 to 10 bullets.

Thanks folks, especially @BFD Guns, that's all I wanted to know. Good luck OP (you wont need it, they are relatively easy to load), hammers are fantastic hunting bullets.
Wanna shoot groups at a mile? I'll show you with my rudimentary loading system.
4022E337-F021-4468-9735-300B1DF358E1.jpeg

If I'm figuring correctly it would take him 6 months 2 days and 13 hours to work up a load to shoot a mile with his work flow
The load I developed to shoot that group at 1 mile was discovered in 5 rounds with the first go at that particular powder. (RL25) It shot same hole at 100yds, so I decided to test farther! 😄

BFD said the exact same thing that I said as "We" are on the same page, You Sir are talking out of both sides of you mouth and none of it is helping your cause
I agree you said it, but it took most of a day of coaxing and when I tried to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting your position you got defensive and started again with the belittling comments. Otoh, BFD went straight to the point, one sentence was the meat of it, and I appreciate that.

If I'm figuring correctly it would take him 6 months 2 days and 13 hours to work up a load to shoot a mile with his work flow
More belittling. If you'd been reading what I posted our workflows are not all that different other than I shoot about 4 or 5 more shots during the initial ladder to get some more specific data about what charge to test for a final load: maybe 10 minutes of extra work in total? Fwiw, in my 151 AH workup either 0.5 or 1 grains under max would have netted me a 1.5+ MOA (at least) load with twice the ES.

I agree you said it, but it took most of a day of coaxing and when I tried to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting your position you got defensive and started again with the belittling comments. Otoh, BFD went straight to the point, one sentence was the meat of it, and I appreciate that.

More belittling. If you'd been reading what I posted our workflows are not all that different other than I shoot about 4 or 5 more shots during the initial ladder to get some more specific data about what charge to test for a final load: maybe 10 minutes of extra work in total? Fwiw, in my 151 AH workup either 0.5 or 1 grains under max would have netted me a 1.5+ MOA (at least) load with twice the ES.
Fwiw, in my 151 AH workup either 0.5 or 1 grains under max would have netted me a 1.5+ MOA (at least) load with twice the ES. This solidifies my point as it seems the rest of us don't have this problem, FWIW I'm not belittling you or anyone else nor is that my intention, I am simply pointing out the obvious, No new member introduction, you join and start telling folks how it is. it's the norm anymore As I said before all you are doing is wasting everyone's time, and you have completely derailed this thread and are completely off topic, go start your own thread as you seem to know more than the rest of combined and where you really , MudRunner or GerryBaker1960? as your all of you 19 posts have a very familiar tone, My sincerest apologies to the OP

Last edited:
I have some 124 and 137 grain hammer hunters. Have IMR 4064, 8208xbr, and some Ramshot Tac. Where would you start with a 308 with a 22" barrel? I was going to look at Nosler load data but there isn't a lot of info with these powders

First time loader so I don't need a hot rod load.
Bud I apologize for the complete derailment, if you need anything just holler 812-264-6183

I know this got a little off subject but hey that's what the internet is for….haha

I actually don't mind. I will take info from anyone and do my own homework and decide on my own. I'm new to loading and I know everyone has there own way of doing things. I also know that there are people on this board that have A LOT of experience loading Hammers and are very helpful and knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge and I thank you all for that.

I finally have all the components I need to start loading. Primers were a PITA but I was able to get some CCI's about a month ago without breaking the bank. New rifle should be done and in hand in the next couple weeks. I have 500+ rounds of factory ammo on hand but have ordered a couple 100 of the Hammer Hunters to load up.

Pretty excited to move on to the next level with rolling my own. Just another hobby and another rabbit hole to go down.

I know this got a little off subject but hey that's what the internet is for….haha
Ha! Thanks for the pass, I do appreciate it.

If you end up loading both your 8082xbr and TAC in the 137's please let us know how they shake out for you: I'd personally love to switch from TAC to 8082xbr (presuming I can ever find any) for the temp stability but I'd bet you get better velocity with TAC.

I was using the 124HH bullet that posters above are referring to. Accuracy was about moa at 400yds. Normally, I can get the Hammers to shot better than that so I'm still working with them in my .308Win.

FWIW - the 130 Barnes TTSX will shoot into .5 moa @ 400yds with Benchmark in this particular rifle. Velocity is right at 3,130 ft/sec.
How much benchmark were you using? I'm about to start up a load for 137gr hammers using benchmark, and not sure where to start on the low end