Hammers in 308

Yup.......... He joined November 4th, and on December 1st he earned an "ignore"!!! There are a number of ways to answer or express one's feelings or thoughts without acting like the south bound end of a north bound horse. Butterbean you were polite and didn't deserve the sarcasm.

Yup.......... He joined November 4th, and on December 1st he earned an "ignore"!!! There are a number of ways to answer or express one's feelings or thoughts without acting like the south bound end of a north bound horse. Butterbean you were polite and didn't deserve the sarcasm.
I embrace the suck Bud, No worries

Neighbor that's awesome and if it works for you I'm tickled but most of are doing what you just described in 15-20 minutes with 5-8 bullets, The search bar is your friend here, Hundreds of pages on Hammers and loading them
Could you link to a good one (yours or otherwise) or describe your process? I'm still curious what you do after your 1gr ladder you use to find max pressure.

Could you link to a good one (yours or otherwise) or describe your process? I'm still curious what you do after your 1gr ladder you use to find max pressure.
When you find pressure you back off .5 to 1 grain, whatever makes you feel most comfortable, shoot at distance to verify and you let Em eat, 95% of folks that have a grasp on Hammers and how to load them find that a 5-7 grain load work up to pressure all go in the same hole,

I wasted a lot of Hammers when I first started cause I could not shake the cup and core disease. After few discussions with Steve and quite a few with BB, I came home to roost. I usually like to try 2 powders that are FAST enough to get them to warp speed. Best advice is to realize "these are different animals and have to be fed differently".

When you find pressure you back off .5 to 1 grain, whatever makes you feel most comfortable, shoot at distance to verify and you let Em eat, 95% of folks that have a grasp on Hammers and how to load them find that a 5-7 grain load work up to pressure all go in the same hole,
Just to be clear and sum it up, your workflow goes like this:
  1. Pick your components and seating depth based on intrinsic knowledge of hammer bullets (your own and from the forums, as appropriate)
  2. Find max pressure for safety reasons using a 1gr increment ladder.
  3. Try a safe charge close to the max and see if it groups
    1. Yes: done!
    2. No: repeat step 3.

Just to be clear and sum it up, your workflow goes like this:
  1. Pick your components and seating depth based on intrinsic knowledge of hammer bullets (your own and from the forums, as appropriate)
  2. Find max pressure for safety reasons using a 1gr increment ladder.
  3. Try a safe charge close to the max and see if it groups
    1. Yes: done!
    2. No: repeat step 3.
No offense intended but Your wasting mine and everyone else's time playing whatever game you are playing, go start your own thread and find someone else who will entrain your senseless banter,

Dang homie! You just load till you get a sticky bolt lift or ejector smear on the case head and then back off a grain. I've done this for years with regular bullets. Nothing too different for Hammers in this regard. Treat this as an adventure in hand loading and shooting. You don't know everything.

Dang homie! You just load till you get a sticky bolt lift or ejector smear on the case head and then back off a grain. I've done this for years with regular bullets. Nothing too different for Hammers in this regard. Treat this as an adventure in hand loading and shooting. You don't know everything.
You are wasting your breath. I have been on line since before there was public internet. We had dial in Bulletin Boards. I have always run into people that they "have to be right" even when they know they are not! So I just try move on! Sometimes it's difficult. Sometimes I succeed!

No offense intended but Your wasting mine and everyone else's time playing whatever game you are playing, go start your own thread and find someone else who will entrain your senseless banter,
No games, you engaged me to tell me I was wrong but not why I was wrong. I'm trying my best to understand your process. I do owe the OP @KSB209 an apology, this thread has been inadvertently hijacked. I have read most of the hammer literature on this forum and elsewhere and it's been helpful for finding anecdotes (which are very helpful if you're using those component combos) but I was hoping you would give me your process and the reason why it works because knowing the principles is more generally applicable.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for! The 'load em, shoot em, repeat if necessary but it will probably work the first time' technique that most everyone starts with because its easy and can give very reasonable results. It could have been that simple, you should have chimed in sooner. I absolutely agree that this method works great for many bullets for hunting big game within about 400 yards or so, especially with jump insensitive bullets like hammers and many non-VLD bullets (most older bullet designs), and 400 yards encompasses at least 90+% of shot opportunities. I go a different route for my long range loads but for most realistic hunting loads it's absolutely viable and you'll likely save about 5 to 10 bullets.

Thanks folks, especially @BFD Guns, that's all I wanted to know. Good luck OP (you wont need it, they are relatively easy to load), hammers are fantastic hunting bullets.