Hammers and the 25-06

This 25-06 talk is getting me excited to get mine back. Diamond T rifle shop in Idaho has mine now, doing the accuracy work to the receiver and lugs and whatnot, while waiting for the barrel to arrive from Hart. I'm rebarreling it specifically to shoot the Hammer bullets, so I hope I'm not p-ing in the wind by doing it.

I agree 100%. That explains the 250AI; the.257 Roberts; and the 25:06AI in my safe. Any one of those are my go to guns followed by the 260 Remington. With the right compination of bullets and powders, they'll cover all but the largest, most dangerous game. Right ButterBean?

And speaking of Diamond T, he is one of the best kept secrets in the Nothwest. So shhhhh - lets keep it quiet so we can continue to get such outstanding work in quick turnaround time.

I agree 100%. That explains the 250AI; the.257 Roberts; and the 25:06AI in my safe. Any one of those are my go to guns followed by the 260 Remington. With the right compination of bullets and powders, they'll cover all but the largest, most dangerous game. Right ButterBean?

And speaking of Diamond T, he is one of the best kept secrets in the Nothwest. So shhhhh - lets keep it quiet so we can continue to get such outstanding work in quick turnaround time.
You are correct

Ole Ron's all about it

Hey ButterBean,

Just ordered a box of 235gr. .338 cal. Hammer Hunters. Another thing while you are here; I have argued with a LOT of stupid people. I was a cop for 30 years and some of those stupid people I argued with didn't even work for the police department.

Last edited:
Cant wait to test the 92 grain Hammers on something.Trying to get pops to use it on his Nevada deer hunt next week or maybe a coyote.
Mine is a 257 Weatherby and feel I may have been able to push them some more but couldnt find any other powders then what I had for the 100 grain TTSX.These Hammers flat shoot.
IMG_E4447.JPG

I reckon the 25-06 is ideal for all Oz thin skin game.
My second rifle was a Rem Sendero in 25-06. I found it a bit heavy for carry on pigs (no bikes back then) so I got a Rem ADL 25-06 and it is due for it's 3rd bbl now. I thought of AI ing it but after AI ing a 30-06 decided it was not worth it as Sambur didn't fall over any quicker however it's range was increased.
The Sendero went to a blueprinted 6x284 with Re23 for 1200 rounds and is a 308 now.
Ran 2209 or 760 behind a 100gn Nosler solid base all their lives. Never lost a thing hit with it.
Always carried 115gn Nosler Partitions if anything bigger than pigs popped up.
With over 58yrs of hunting the recoil is a bit much for me now so I have gone back to the first cal I ever owned a 243 in an ABolt.
This will see out my hunting days and there is always the SSAA range to fall back on.

G'day Steve.

It's nice to identify another Aussie. Get on those Hammers for the .243 and your set.

An Aussie member from NSW on the Africa hunting forum goes off when we mention .243, it's all in fun but he won't have a bar of it.

G'day Steve.

It's nice to identify another Aussie. Get on those Hammers for the .243 and your set.

An Aussie member from NSW on the Africa hunting forum goes off when we mention .243, it's all in fun but he won't have a bar of it.
G'day Mate,

I don't comment much here, mostly just read and increase my knowledge.

I understand your mate. I've shot everything up to 450-400 double and the 243 is not well understood.
After the 25-06 (and it's cousin the 270) the 243 is ideal, particularly with the new monos, for heavier game that years ago you would use the 25 with 120 Speers.

I am having a lot of fun with a 22-243 for varmints at the moment. Even on a windy day it is up there with 6x284 but just can't tag the 25-06 with the new VLD's.

What state are you in mate. Most of our hunting is in western NSW. We haven't been for a while due to Cv19 and drought conditions. Looking forward to March next year.

Keep well mate.
Steve.