Hammer sledge hammer

mtank

Has anyone worked up a load for 130gr sledge hammer for 264 win mag?? It's for a 28" including brake 1-8 twist brux 264 win mag on a weatherby mark v action.

Mine is a wildcat which matches a .264. I started with 7 Rem Mag brass, turned off the belts, turned the rim down to .495, shaped the shoulders to look like a Weatherby and go. My present load is Retumbo @ 65.0 grains, Federal 215 Magnum primers and Hammer Sledgehammer 130 at full magazine length. That is 3.279"

This morning, Lord willing, I am going to fire three five shot groups at 100 yards: 3.279", then -.025" and then -.050". Just for curiosity. The last five shot group I fired was .540".

Mine is a wildcat which matches a .264. I started with 7 Rem Mag brass, turned off the belts, turned the rim down to .495, shaped the shoulders to look like a Weatherby and go. My present load is Retumbo @ 65.0 grains, Federal 215 Magnum primers and Hammer Sledgehammer 130 at full magazine length. That is 3.279"

This morning, Lord willing, I am going to fire three five shot groups at 100 yards: 3.279", then -.025" and then -.050". Just for curiosity. The last five shot group I fired was .540".
I'm going to try & get to Cabela's this afternoon to pick up some federal primers. I'm going to work up a few loads this next week. I have some 13o accubonds, 127 Barnes long range & 130 vld's to try

Sounds like a beltless 6.5-257wby.
How do you like it?

Sounds like a beltless 6.5-257wby.
How do you like it?

I like it. I'm not averse to the belts, but I did it in a Weatherby Mark V six lug action for lightness so the belt had to go. With a 26" barrel, a brake of my design, a Swarovski z5 5-25X52, and a Proof Research stock it weighed 6 Lb 15 Oz.

Twice the z5 had to go in for repair. Both times the note informed me they replaced the erector. The second time I put it for sale with a full disclosure of why. The Proof stock broke in the pistol grip while testing a new muzzle brake. (Different shape ports made some outrageously unexpected vibrations.) The vibration really stung my face and hurt right hand. At first I thought the rifle blew up but realized I was still holding it by the fore end with my left hand. They replaced it free of charge.

By the time it came back the rifle had a Pendleton Composite Stock on it and a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30x50. The stock is just as good and the scope is a skosh better but four ounces heavier.

Oh man that's quite the boondoggle
Hope all the bugs were worked out.
I run 6.5x257 on a 9 lug
Pacnor #4 with their brake 1:7 twist
Easy to shoot and shoots 140 bergers into bugholes. Unfortunately I have to shoot lead free here in California now and am working up a load with 127 lrx and think the 131 hammer would be a better bullet

Oh man that's quite the boondoggle
Hope all the bugs were worked out.
I run 6.5x257 on a 9 lug
Pacnor #4 with their brake 1:7 twist
Easy to shoot and shoots 140 bergers into bugholes. Unfortunately I have to shoot lead free here in California now and am working up a load with 127 lrx and think the 131 hammer would be a better bullet
I'm going to try & find out more tomorrow on the 131 Hammers. I'm planning to load & shoot some the next two weekends. I've got a cow tag now for 2nd rifle & planning to get a bull tag as well. For the distances I feel comfortable shooting my 264 should be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.