Hammer performance on coyotes

• Thread starter Deleted member 115360
  • Start date
This is who a lot of us here in Wyoming use. I can't believe your fur prices. Are the yotes pretty dark and small in your area ?

https://petskafur.net/routes/

This site has listings for each state

We have some pretty healthy dogs in our region but nothing like the western Coyotes with their full and heavy coats. An average Illinois Coyote will weigh around 25-35lbs. The largest I've killed in 26 years of chasing them was a 44lb. male and he was really old with considerable tooth wear, I estimated him at 8 yrs but that may be off +/-. I averaged $32 in 2017 and $28 in 2018 then it crashed here.
I don't know how to attach a link but we sell to Groenwold Furs in Forreston, Il. I think he buys west of Illinois as well.

We have some pretty healthy dogs in our region but nothing like the western Coyotes with their full and heavy coats. An average Illinois Coyote will weigh around 25-35lbs. The largest I've killed in 26 years of chasing them was a 44lb. male and he was really old with considerable tooth wear, I estimated him at 8 yrs but that may be off +/-. I averaged $32 in 2017 and $28 in 2018 then it crashed here.
I don't know how to attach a link but we sell to Groenwold Furs in Forreston, Il. I think he buys west of Illinois as well.
I just learned this not long ago, so let's see if I can help ya,
Hold down on the bar that has the web it's info on it. It's at the bottom of my IPHONE
Then press the copy button that should appear
Then go to the page ya want to upload on
and touch your screen were the letter counter thing is then hit the paste button
I know zero tech terms for these cursed phones or computers
Hope it helped.

Back to the photo of the Chrono and loaded round, it is a 20-250, a necked down 22-250 to a 20 caliber.....

This is a dedicated Calling rifle for predators. Seldom will it get shot more than once at a time unless multiple coyotes make themselves available, the throat never gets overheated. If I were to use it on prairie dogs with constant shooting, that barrel would be toast real quick. If a guy was to shoot enough successive rounds to get the lands hot enough (BTU's) too were they are becoming somewhat "soft" and continually running bullets over those hot lands, that equates to big time erosion.

I've killed well over a 1000 coyotes with this barrel and still has plenty of life left. I do measure wear prior to re loading, to set up OCL

I originally was ill advised to use a 1:12 twist barrel. It would not stabilize 40 grain NBT bullets, and therefore changed it to a 1:11.

Bullet selection at 4200-4300 fps narrowed it down to the Ballistic Tips. I firmly believe the solid base design keeps them from "splashing". I tried all the varmint bullets, custom bullets, and all of them would splash (explode on the surface and not penetrate). The other problem is the bullets spinning apart upon existing the barrel.

So here we are with the perfect solution, cnc solid copper machined bullets, life is good!

Are these 31 grain bullets ideal for coyotes?

When the day comes to re barrel, I'd build the gun around the Hammer Hunter 39 grain bullets with a faster 9.5 twist.

I have two dedicated calling rifles, one is always backing up the other, 22-243 Middlestead. It's been shot a lot, plenty of life left in it too. Again, shoot once and done.

Barrel burner you say! I'm betting on a least 2000 rounds for my two rifles before replacing the barrels. Even if I got only 1000 rounds before the throat was burned out, that's a lot of dead coyotes. Like Bean said, it'll last a lifetime (for most folks)

I was pleasantly surprised to find the 31 grain Hammers and the 40 grain Ballistic tip's didn't require any scope adjustment between the two of them for a 200 yard zero.

Have you shot a coyote with a Hammer ?
I have, using a 130 Shock Hammer (I was deer hunting at the time). The dog spun quickly in place twice and went down for good. Massive damage, hit him right around the shoulder broadside and he had another exit hole in his gut. I'm guessing one of the fragments tore through him perpendicularly. Anyway the Shock Hammer did a number on him. Yes it costs me 70 cents more but I got over it.

Back to the photo of the Chrono and loaded round, it is a 20-250, a necked down 22-250 to a 20 caliber.....

This is a dedicated Calling rifle for predators. Seldom will it get shot more than once at a time unless multiple coyotes make themselves available, the throat never gets overheated. If I were to use it on prairie dogs with constant shooting, that barrel would be toast real quick. If a guy was to shoot enough successive rounds to get the lands hot enough (BTU's) too were they are becoming somewhat "soft" and continually running bullets over those hot lands, that equates to big time erosion.

I've killed well over a 1000 coyotes with this barrel and still has plenty of life left. I do measure wear prior to re loading, to set up OCL

I originally was ill advised to use a 1:12 twist barrel. It would not stabilize 40 grain NBT bullets, and therefore changed it to a 1:11.

Bullet selection at 4200-4300 fps narrowed it down to the Ballistic Tips. I firmly believe the solid base design keeps them from "splashing". I tried all the varmint bullets, custom bullets, and all of them would splash (explode on the surface and not penetrate). The other problem is the bullets spinning apart upon existing the barrel.

So here we are with the perfect solution, cnc solid copper machined bullets, life is good!

Are these 31 grain bullets ideal for coyotes?

When the day comes to re barrel, I'd build the gun around the Hammer Hunter 39 grain bullets with a faster 9.5 twist.

I have two dedicated calling rifles, one is always backing up the other, 22-243 Middlestead. It's been shot a lot, plenty of life left in it too. Again, shoot once and done.

Barrel burner you say! I'm betting on a least 2000 rounds for my two rifles before replacing the barrels. Even if I got only 1000 rounds before the throat was burned out, that's a lot of dead coyotes. Like Bean said, it'll last a lifetime (for most folks)

I was pleasantly surprised to find the 31 grain Hammers and the 40 grain Ballistic tip's didn't require any scope adjustment between the two of them for a 200 yard zero.
You will never burn it out shooting coyotes, load her up and Let Her Eat

I just learned this not long ago, so let's see if I can help ya,
Hold down on the bar that has the web it's info on it. It's at the bottom of my IPHONE
Then press the copy button that should appear
Then go to the page ya want to upload on
and touch your screen were the letter counter thing is then hit the paste button
I know zero tech terms for these cursed phones or computers
Hope it helped.
Thank You!!!

I went to Pacific hid and fur once had around 25 fox , 20 coyote and 6 mink . The guy told me to throw my trash in the dumpster on my way out . Haven't looked back his way since averaged 35.00 a fox , 50.00 a coyote and 25.00 a mink when I took them to Scotty that year . I felt like it was worse the dealing whit a used car lot when told that . They shut my 10-15 year old G3 phone off this fall here ended up with a mini 12 because I don't like carrying any thing very big around with me and it would fit in my shirt pocket with a case on it to keep me from breaking it when I drop it . I will most likely never know what it's capabilities are but that's just me I'm tec-tarded and fine with it for the most part .

Last edited:
I have a1973 , Winchester model 70 , 30-06 with a 24" 4130 Crome molly barrel 1:10 twist if it was a Remington it would be a #4 taper . It wears a Lupold fixed 12 power scope as I sent the original in to Denver to be fixed , it was an older steel tubed fixed 10 power and it never came home , the company went bankrupt and I couldn't get my scope back sadly . The walnut stock didn't like to come live where I do and split from the front action bolt for about 8 " so it has an older McMillen fiber glass stock bedded action and free floating barrel , with a Jewel trigger set right at 3lbs. Just a little back ground of what I tried the Hammer Hunter 124 grain bullets in . So I have some Nosler brass that had been fired twice in this rifle I set the shoulder back .002 , used Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primers , IMR 4350 powder started at 56.8 grains , as that's what I run with my Nosler 125 grain bullets . I left my seating die set for the Nosler bullets figuring that I would adjust it as needed . I think that all I will need is some tweaking of the seating depth and may go to CCI large rifle mag. primers , as I got a 5 shot group of under an inch in gusting winds of 25-40 mph at 100 yards . I did reset the zero to match the new bullets they were running a bit high , 2" , I think that my rifle and myself are going to like the new rounds , the coyote and P.D.'S probably not so much as I'm going to get out this spring again with Gene and his Jack Russell ( Jack ) for a few days . And I tried out the FrogLube on it as well I found that when I followed the recommended procedure for it it's better then the marine boat wax that I was using as a lube and protectant . I learned that one over in a hot humid place and it worked better then the stuff in the green can did for me and didn't collect dust in my dry dusty part of the world where I live now . With any product you need to clean all of the old stuff off first but with froglube a guy that I let try it just added it to what was already there . Mistake ! It and the other clp turned gummy brown and not so good .I cleaned up his mess with some denatured alcohol then their cleaner and he was up and running again . I'm not doing an add for them just passing along what I have found that works for me .

Will be interesting to see how they work. Not much wind here lately but fog has been a pain for long distances. Neighbor shot a coyote and it looked pretty good in the picture but he said it wasn't. His family raises beef and he kills the crap out of them. Calving season. Pre 64 model 70 rebarreled 243 I helped him do load work up.

Attachments

• AFAC6ADB-D115-42F5-B988-1F8AA4CC355E.jpeg
    AFAC6ADB-D115-42F5-B988-1F8AA4CC355E.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 63
Amazing... Biggest question is why? Why do you care enough to unload on a rant about what bullet another hunter/shooter decides to shoot a coyote with?

And what's north Idaho got to do with anything bullet selection related?

It is because the white supremists that live there mistankenly think they are inherently better than everyone else.

Talking about toothwear and age what would you guess this old man to be?
131768DE-DD21-43BA-A6D7-6D1E33D64A4A.jpeg